CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR

TAPPING THE RUDDER;
part one

RENNA AND ATTICUS SPENT MOST of their day with their family. They hadn't in a while, and some - Renna - needed to. After sacrificing a life in her childhood home, she couldn't ignore the feeling settling in the pit of her stomach telling her to live. She couldn't ignore it like she ignored the man in the water, and the arm in the gutter, and the blood on the hall, and now, the burnt ashes of a body once great buried deep beneath the Earth in her backyard.

However, it didn't last for long, as the Pogues were quickly called to the Chateau by the voice of Sarah Cameron. They didn't rush, as it wasn't expressed as an emergency, yet they all arrived at relatively the same time. They all waited out the back by the tree until the blonde emerged from inside, quickly trailed by the boy they'd all thought would disappear.

"No way! You're okay!" Renna cheered with a bright grin as the relief settled in. She skipped towards him, wrapping her arms around his shoulder as he laughed into the dark air.

"Welcome back," Cleo grinned as the blonde pulled away, smiling brightly into the night as Atticus' hand made contact with his shoulder. From across the hazel-eyed boy, Atticus and Renna locked eyes. She cocked her head in a way that said did you tell them? Subtly, he glance towards Pope, then she glanced towards Cleo. They were still oblivious, yet nobody moved to fill them in.

"You gotta be kidding me," JJ laughed as he pushed himself onto a tree branch alight with string lanterns.

"I have something I want to share with you guys," Sarah exclaimed, a soft smile adorning her face enlightened with gold. "I can get us to Orinoco."

"Are you serious?" Pope laughed.

"Yeah," Sarah grinned.

"Okay, and how's that gonna happen?" Cleo asked with furrowed brows, sharing a nervous look with Renna.

"My dad's gonna let us use the plane," Sarah said, failing to notice the twitch in Renna's brow as she heard the forbidden word that haunted her mind with the dead bodies. Dad

"Ward?" JJ scoffed.

"Your dad?" Pope added with raised brows of disbelief.

"Yep," Sarah nodded as she pressed her lips together in a line. "We lay low tonight, then wheels up first thing in the morning."

"Okay, that's a lot to process. Your dad actually helping us," Pope teased.

"How'd you do it?" Atticus asked sceptically. Sarah spared him a look.

"I talked to him. He'll do it," the girl shrugged.

"You talked to him?" Atticus scoffed with disbelief.