CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

HOMECOMING;
part three

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, THE GROUP waited out by the dock for their two friends to finally arrive. They were dead inside and out, tired and drained, as they batted between their minds on what was right and wrong. They only decided when they jumped to life, seeing Pope and Kiara steadily floating towards them on the blue boat they'd pinched the night before.

"Finally! Guys, don't tie up. Stop it!" JJ shouted, waving his hands frantically in the air.

"Go! Go! Go!" Atticus shouted as he ran down the wooden dock. 

"What?" Kiara asked worriedly.

"We're dipping," JJ said. 

"Rafe, man," Atticus said as he ran up to a confused Pope, "he stopped by last night."

"I've never been so happy to see your faces," Renna laughed as she jumped in the boat, holding out a hand to help Atticus in. 

"What happened last night?" John B asked as he helped Sarah down the steps. 

"Who cares? Can we just go already," Renna exasperated as she held her hands towards the steering wheel. 

John B held his hands up. "Fine, whatever you say, m-"

"God! Would everyone stop calling me that! It's disgusting," the blonde groaned as she rounded the steering wheel, gesturing for the Routledge boy to hurry up and get on the boat. She soon took off, taking the wheel in what felt like the first time in months. "Where am I going?"

"Just drive to a park or something," JJ muttered as he sat on the edge of the boat, running a stressed hand through his hair. She nodded. 

They soon arrived, taking their time in climbing out of the water vehicle and stepping onto the land. "Look, If Rafe and Barry know, it's only a matter of time before everyone knows," John B muttered, pacing in front of the group as half of them sat down.

"We should've gone south, man."

"J, please," Atticus leant over, throwing an arm around his shoulder as he slapped his other cheek, "Shut up."

"I have an idea. With me back, my dad's going to have to choose between me and Rafe." Atticus and Renna looked at each other immediately, shifting in their spots. They couldn't let her go through what they did, ever.

"No, Sarah-"

"He's going to choose me," Sarah persisted, widened eyes staring into Renna's worried ones.

"Sarah, babe, listen to me," Renna began, moving forward to kneel in front of her with her hands on the girl's knees, "he won't. I did-"

"But, he-"