CHAPTER THIRTEEN

THE LUCKY COMPASS;
part three

AFTER TALKING TO MS. LANA more, the united group of four drove back to the Château in the Twinkie, sparing Renna and Atticus' feet from walking any further. Upon their arrival, they gathered around the back porch, Pope and Kiara listening in as JJ explained what had happened. John B was pacing behind them all, Kiara sitting on the armchair with her ukulele balancing between her fingertip and the floor as Pope stared at JJ from the couch across from her. Atticus sat beside him, Renna beside Kiara on the white wooden bench as JJ pressed his back against the brick wall. 

"Then we were right outside like this, and all we hear is just, Bam! Bam! Bam! Knocking paint off the wall, G! From the inside. Alright? And I'm just looking at them like- Wait, first off, look at this shit. Look at it," he ruffled his hair between Pope and Kiara, the pair grimacing as Atticus leant back to smack JJ's backside.

"Get your ass out of my face, man," Atticus groaned, but JJ ignored him as he fluffed the last bit of paint out of his hair.

"That's dandruff, disgusting," Kiara grimaced as Renna laughed at her face, finger pointed towards her twisted frown.

"Okay, thank you," Pope whistled as he lightly pushed JJ away, the blond finally listening as he stumbled back.

"Look at all that, all right? That's paint. At that point, I was just, like . . . I'm waiting for death."

"I think you're overexaggerating it just a teeny bit," Renna said as she pinched her fingers, holding them less than millimetres away from each other.

"No, I'm not, Ren! That's exactly what happened," JJ defended dramatically, hands splayed wide at his sides as his eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

"Okay, so you saw the guys that shot at us, right?" Pope asked. JJ merely nodded in response.

"Did you get a good description of them? What did they look like?" The boy questioned.

"Yeah, anything's helpful," Kiara added.

"Anything we can bring to a police report, maybe?" Pope continued to suggest, until JJ finally found an answer that he thought fitted them perfectly.

"Burly," JJ nodded.

"Yeah, they were pretty burly," Atticus agreed as he fell back in his seat, closing his eyes as he tilted his head back on the soft foam.

"Burly?" Pope exasperated. JJ and Atticus nodded as Renna gulped - knowingly. She knew it wasn't helpful whatsoever.

"That's not very helpful," Kiara mumbled.

"Okay, well, no, like the type of guy at my dad's garage. I mean, you guys know he made cargo hides for drug smugglers. I can tell you with full confidence, these boys, these killers . . . they're square groupers," the blond ranted.