CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX

SECRET OF THE GNOMON;
part one

TRES ROCAS WAS FILLED WITH people. Everywhere Renna turned, she came face to face with somebody else's shoulder. A few times Atticus had to keep hold of her just to guide her through the seas of people. She thanked him, him sending her a curt nod with a cheerful grin as his hands laid across her shoulders.

"There's a lot going on," Pope said as he eyed the crowds of people around the street.

"Looks like it's a local holiday," Cleo commented blissfully with raised brows. A small kid walked past the group, waving at them wildly.

"Hi!" Renna greeted the child with a friendly grin, causing the little girl to smile giddily before running back to her parents. The older girl laughed while Atticus rubbed her shoulder.

"Alright, so we gotta assume that Singh's already gone upriver," John B began as he huddled the group together on the colourful sidewalk. "We're looking for a guy named Jose. He's gonna take us to the dig site."

"Jose. Do you have a last name or . . ." Pope dragged on questioningly.

"I do not have a last name," John B said with straightened lips and a shake of his head. Atticus grinned as he lightly punched Pope's shoulder.

"C'mon, man, we don't need a last name," he laughed. Renna pulled him back with a playful frown.

"Every second person is called Jose here, it's like trying to find a James back at home," the blonde dead-panned. Atticus' lips formed an oval, a soft whistle passing through his mouth as he wrapped an arm around her.

"We'll be right, we can do anything, right?" He grinned, offering a smile with raised brows to his friends. They couldn't help but laugh, nodding along with him as they soon dispersed. How wrong he was. How wrong he was.

Atticus and Renna ventured around the town, peaking into bars as the girl offered the people a friendly smile. "Jose?" She would ask with wide, pleading eyes. She would only get a shake of their heads. "Lo siento, gracias."

Everytime they would receive a single response, Atticus would turn to Renna with furrowed brows. He didn't know a single word of Spanish, nothing but caca, because he'd begged the word out of Pope one time. He'd grown up finding it the funniest thing in the world, it becoming a running joke of calling younger Rafe Cameron and Blake Lewis piles of caca. Clearly, one of the boys was a bigger shit than the other.

When Renna and Atticus were strolling down one of the many crowded paths of the town, kicking loose stones as they chatted amongst each other, they saw their friends - some of their friends. JJ, Kiara, Pope, and Cleo were all huddled together beside a fruit truck.