CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

MY DRUTHERS;
part two

THE POGUES WERE SITTING IN the Twinkie, John B driving peacefully along the road as they journeyed towards Pope's great-grandmother's house. It was quite the drive, but that was okay. They needed a break.

"It was lost off the coast of Bermuda in 1829," Kiara said from reading off Wikipedia. 

"Did you just say Bermuda?" JJ asked with widened eyes, turning in his seat from beside the hazel-eyed boy driving.

"Dude, the triangle!" Atticus laughed as he spun around from his seat leaning against the back of the passengers to hit JJs shoulder, slightly moving against the girl sitting with her back pressed against his own legs. 

"It always leads back to the triangle, dude," JJ teased, knowing most of his friends disagreed with him. Atticus and JJ were firm, and always would be firm, believers.

"The illuminati's real, I'm telling y'all!" The curly-haired boy shouted with a cheesy grin.

"Okay, did any of you listen in class . . . ever? Never trust the wiki, guys, it's true. And, also- like . . . doesn't this remind you of the treasure?" Everyone went silent, listening to Renna's words. "B, you were lowkey related to that, and now you, Pope! What's the bet Ward and Dick are gonna get this one too!"

"They're gonna be in jail, weeping in their tiny-ass cells, baby. They won't even be able to try," Atticus assured her as he lent down, hands massaging her shoulders. One had never been so wrong before. 

They dropped Pope off, leaving him alone at his Mee-Maw's house as they drove away. He wanted to be alone, ending with a subtle jab at Kiara before walking off with a strut. Renna later asked to be dropped off at the Chateau, Atticus following behind her, to collect her still-tied-up jet ski. 

The boy practically begged on his hands and knees to drive it, so after minutes of teasing him, she let him take the keys dangling from her taunting fingertips. 

They spent the afternoon speeding around the marsh, taking the time to once in a while enjoy themselves without letting the pressure of finding a secret treasure plague their minds. Atticus' hands were strictly on the handlebars, although all he wanted to do was move them away to touch the girl's hands slithered tightly around his waist.

However, they quickly moved when she got a call from John b, fishing it out of its protected slot in her shorts before answering the nagging boy.

"Where are you?" He asked, not allowing her to say even a single word.

"Well, hello to you to, B-"

"Renna, where are you?" She could sense it: the utter urgency and ghost of fear, yet a painted smidge of relief.