CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY;
part one

RENNA AND ATTICUS SPLIT FROM each other not long after the flame, Atticus finding the boys the next morning while Renna searched for the girls after the rising of the sun. The girl already knew where Kiara was, visiting her family restaurant, so she headed there first. She could always call the other blonde or Pope to find Sarah and Cleo's whereabouts.

"Kiara!" Renna cheered softly as she walked between the tables at the restaurant. The girl turned around with raised brows, biting back her surprise when her friend wrapped her arms around her. She furrowed her brows.

"Hey, Ren. You okay?" Kiara asked, hands tightening around the girl as her chin pressed against the girl's shoulder.

Renna's eyes separated from the real world, staring off into the wall as she tried to hide her thoughts. She knew she would have to tell them eventually - no secrets among Pogues - and it wouldn't be fair. Atticus had to tell the boys, so she had to tell the girls.

"I'm okay," she smiled, pulling away as her lip dragged up her cheeks. "I just have to tell you something, but I need to tell Sarah and Cleo too."

"Yeah, okay, that's cool," the girl nodded, brows drawing in as she pressed on a grin. "Could you help me carry these out to the car, I can drive us to wherever the other two are."

"Yeah, of course," Renna nodded, eyes wide. She reached for the box, but as her sight moved up to above it, it latched onto something. Someone. Two people, one she loved and one she hated. Sarah Cameron and Topper Thornton were sitting at the same table alone, and suddenly, she was back watching them leave her house from the top of her driveway. Back at the very start.

Kiara, noticing her hesitance, followed her train of sight. She furrowed her brows, a stab of confusion and betrayal present in her irises as she tugged on the back of Renna's shirt. "C'mon, leave them." So, reluctantly, she did.

The two girls walked out to the dock in silence, the secrets, the many secrets, weighing down their shoulders to much to speak. They couldn't even find it within them to stop when they heard the sound of the Cameron girl's footsteps running down the pier behind them.

"Kie! Rei!" Sarah tried, feet moving fast against the wooden planks beneath her. "Guys, wait, can we . . . Topper and I were just getting breakfast. That's it."

"It's none of my business," Kiara muttered. Renna continued to load the cardboard boxes and bags onto the boat, keeping her mouth shut so she didn't say anything she'd regret, or do the opposite, and burst into tears.

Sarah continued nevertheless. "You can join if you want to, both of you."

"Breakfast?" Kiara exasperated.