CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

HOMECOMING;
part one

FINALLY, AFTER ALMOST AN ENTIRE twenty-four hours since their departure of their hometown, the remaining Pogues arrived at their destination: Charleston. They quickly drove through the area to find the address - a house bigger than the Cameron mansion back at the Outer Banks.

"Oh my god, their house is bigger than mine," Renna said from the back of Heyward's truck, looking up at the tall building with wide eyes.

"I think all the houses here are bigger than yours, love," Atticus laughed. Renna looked to the side, meeting his face with flustered cheeks, before pushing him back beneath the tarp.

"You're supposed to be hiding," she muttered, a small grin plastered across her pink lips.

"But I miss your face," he whined from beneath the sheet. Renna smiled, not that the boy could see, before she leant down and pulled the tarp back, kissing him on the lips. She pulled away not long after, the boy moving his head up to kiss her once more, but the girl pulling the tarp back interrupted him. He found his lips to be pressing up against the bottom of the dusty sheet instead.

"Renna!" He groaned in disgust as he reached his hand up, brushing the dust off his face. She merely laughed.

"Come on, y'all," JJ said as he hopped out of the truck.

"Did it not say to come alone?" Renna asked as she leant over the side of the truck, watching as Pope and Kiara started to walk towards the front.

"Sure it did, but what are they gonna do?" He asked with a smirk, holding out a hand as he gestured for her to climb down. She sighed, muttering a goodbye to the boy behind her beneath the tarp, before taking the blond's hand and jumping down. "That's what I'm talkin' about, Renna. You're climbing out of your shell!"

"Not willingly," she mumbled. Pope knocked on the door while Renna admired the metal architecture around the railing.

"You think that was too much?" Pope asked as he pulled away from the door, the two blonds walking up the steps behind him.

"It echoed the entire house, that's for sure. So, they definitely heard it," JJ mumbled.

"Maybe nobody's home?" Kiara asked aloud.

"You kidding? If this was my house I would never leave," Renna scoffed, causing all of her friends to look at her strangely.

""This basically is your house, Renna," Pope mumbled beneath his breath.

"I don't have, like, five stories." Everyone deadpanned her. "What?"

Pope sighed out a short laugh before leaning forward to knock again, before someone opened the door. It was a man, in dress shorts with a messily-cut beard. He looked between the teens with judging eyes. He grinned, a sick grin, before he pointed at the boy beside Renna. "You must be Pope."