CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

PARCEL NINE;
part one

RENNA BROUGHT COOKIES TO JOHN B's hospital room. He'd finally woken up when she had taken a short trip home - just to her luck - so she hurriedly finished decorating the gift before taking off back towards the hospital. 

"You're awake!" She called out as she ran through the door, quite out of breath.

"I am! How could you tell?" He joked with a grin, the cast on his arm laying against the white sheets of his temporary bed.

"I brought your favourite!" She cheered. She dropped the box of cookies on his covered lap, his grin instantly brightening at the sight of them.

"No way! You made the cinnamon biscuits?"

"The cinnamon cookies, JB. But yes, I did." He eagerly sat up in his seat as he started to eat them.

She stayed in the room with him until he was finally discharged, it only being half an hour after Renna had initially arrived. She had asked him about his arm, and Sarah, and the police. That was when he broke the news.

Ward had offered the boy his house, the house that Sarah lived in, which came as unusual to Renna. However, it saved her friend from the troublesome police, so she let it go.

Later that afternoon, the group decided to try and find where the "wheat in parcel nine" was hiding.

"Can we slow down, please?" Renna asked as she worriedly held onto the back of the seats, staring at the back of Atticus' head as he beamed with joy.

"Hell no! Let loose a little. Sh-"

"Shake it out, I know. But I can't when I have to hold on for dear life!" She defended.

"She's right, you know? I keep banging my head against the wall back here," JJ complained as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Yeah, I still need to present my scholarship application," Pope reasoned from beside the blond.

"It feels like you're driving even faster than you were when you drove us around in the hurricane," John B mumbled. Atticus slowed down, but only because he was busy glaring at John B. He didn't want the girl behind him to know what he'd done that night.

"I'm sorry?" Renna questioned with disbelief-filled eyes, an edge to her tone. "You drove in the hurricane? Are you insane?"

"No. He's lying," he responded flatly, returning his eyes to the road as the others in the back averted their eyes to the windows beside them, JJ letting out a low whistle. Renna stared at him through the rearview mirror.

"Yeah, I'm sure, because that's something he would lie about," Renna said sarcastically.

"It's not like I died or anything," he shrugged, finally catching her eye in the mirror with pleading eyes.