CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

THE RUNWAY;
part two

HIDDEN IN THE BACK OF the van, Atticus and Renna were sitting opposite each other against piles of cushions whilst John B, Pope, JJ and Kiara lined up against the fence at the runway. They were just talking, softly, because the blonde couldn't talk any louder. She was still hurt from the day beforehand, holding a hand to her purple and blue blotched neck with a continuous wince.

In the midst of their calm conversation, unaware of what was happening on the plane in the middle of the fenced-off road, John B flung himself into the front seat of the van. The pair in the back looked up, eyes wide, but before they could get even a syllable of a word out, their friend had suddenly thrust the car forward.

"Hey, Booker! Booker, what are you doing?" Atticus shouted as he grasped onto the seat behind him, trying to keep himself from flying into the front windscreen.

"B, what's goin' on?" Renna asked quietly as he drove through the gate, throwing the pair around in the back.

"John B, what the hell, man!" Atticus groaned before carefully pulling himself up, stumbling up to the front. He placed both his hands on the back of the headrests as he poked his head between the seat with furrowed brows.

"Ward's got Sarah!" He shouted. "He's hurting her." Atticus looked back, him and Renna sharing a worried glance. "And your dad's there too," the boy said cautiously, sneaking a softened look behind Atticus to Renna through the rearview mirror.

Renna had told the group what happened the night beforehand, only leaving out the extent to which she had beaten him too. Whilst John B was grateful that she'd stood up for him like that, and actually believed him in the first place, he somehow wished she didn't. When he was looking through the binoculars, surveying her once father's face, he knew what had happened. His head was almost indistinguishable. Renna had lost it, entirely.

The girl closed her eyes, throwing her head back against the van, letting out a long breath.

"Just stay in here, it'll be okay," Atticus suggested as he looked back, eyes trained on her as John B drove closer to the isolated runway.

"No- no. I wanna go out there." She shook her head, staring across at the wall of the van in thought. Unbeknownst to the two boys, she was trying to convince herself to follow her words.

"Renna-"

"I can't just hide away from him forever," she reasoned, finally flicking her eyes over to her friends. John B, taking her words as his all clear, drove up to the plane, stopping the van right in front of it. "That's not what I meant!" Renna screamed.

The boy completely ignored the pair's shouts and yells of disagreement in the back, but luckily, the aircraft stopped to a halt. As soon as the trio were out of the car, Ward and Sarah came running out of the plane, Renna's ex-dad not far behind them.