CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE

THE DARK FOREST;
part one

"JOHN?" RENNA SHOUTED AS HER and Atticus rounded the corner, seeing JJ swinging around on the older man's back. The Routledge father looked over as the blond kicked himself off his back, sending a grin their way. 

"Renna! Ace! How are y'all doin'?" He asked with a grin. They both ran over and engulfed him in hugs, laughing into his chest as he patted them on the back. "Finally together, I see?" He said as they pulled away, causing the rest of their friends to laugh around them. John B watched with mixed emotions from the doorway - he didn't know how to feel. 

Atticus and Renna shared a look. "Maybe?" Atticus grinned teasingly, earning a slap on the shoulder from the girl. 

John B, after finally regaining his senses, walked down the porch steps towards them. "Yeah, yeah, wrap it up. We have stuff to talk about . . ." before Atticus could even utter a word, John B had thrown a hand up to his face, "important stuff."

He rolled his eyes but walked forward nevertheless, hand resting against the small of Renna's back. "So, we, um . . . we went to the archives in Charleston, and, uh . . ."

"C'mon then, spit it out," Renna teased, nudging the boy's leg with her foot. He sent her a look, one that tried to match her energy but failed. He forced a smile before looking back at the grass. She instantly frowned and dropped her façade. "It was a dead end," he gathered. 

"I'm sorry, B," she said, rubbing his shoulder sadly as JJ eyed the boy. John B spared her a thankful glance. 

"Don't worry 'bout it."

"So that's the gold, the cross, and now El Dorado. We're three-for-three, guys," Pope murmured with annoyance, fidgeting with his hands. Renna let her hand drop from John B's shoulder as he looked away, sighing into her hands as she ran them across her face. At the sight, Atticus subtly shuffled closer. 

Pope threw a rock, it skidding across the grass as he barked a sarcastic laugh. "The streak continues," the boy yelled in a craze as he threw his arms into the air, walking off with Cleo in a huff. 

"That's great. See you, John B," Kiara muttered sadly while walking off too. Atticus and JJ shared a sceptical look while Sarah and Renna furrowed their brows at each other in confusion. JJ sighed. 

"I'm going fishing, thanks for the beer," he muttered as he stood up, patting his friend on the back before walking across the grass. Sarah nodded in Renna's direction, the girl catching on with a soft click of her tongue. 

"I'm sorry, Booker. We'll catch you later, yeah?" The blonde said as she stood up, holding a hand out to Atticus as she kept her eyes trained on her other friend. She watched him nod subtly, his thoughts evidently elsewhere, so she breathed out a sigh before walking away with Atticus by her side.