CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

THE PHANTOM;
part two

ATTICUS RAN OVER, CATCHING RAFE off guard. He hadn't even noticed he had the attention of the terrifying teen until he was hit.

"Oi!" Atticus shouted, his voice shaking the walls of the shed. Everybody stopped and turned - he'd never spoken like that before. Renna looked over, head still pressed against the pole as her whole body shook. Atticus couldn't even look at her, or else he'd crumble and fall in his spot.

Before Rafe could even get a word out, or pull the trigger toying with his mind, Atticus had punched him across the jaw. The gun clattered to the ground where Pope kicked it away.

"You fucking son of a bitch!" Atticus seethed as he pushed the boy back, Rafe falling to the ground at the sheer force of it. He dropped to his knees, holding him up by the collar after he sent punch after punch to his face, Renna crumbling to the ground behind him. Blood started pouring out of the hopeless boy's mouth as Atticus held him pinned to the floor, his anger not faltering after seeing the trickling red liquid. Renna was on the ground too, back against the pole as she held her hands around her face. "You're fucking dead to me. You're-"

"Atticus! Cut it out." JJ pulled him back with wild eyes, clutching onto the back of his shirt.

"Why'd you do it, huh? You think- you think you can just-"

"Calm down, dude. Your face is on fire," JJ mumbled as he pulled him even further back, waiting for the boy to calm down. Rafe was on the floor, almost unconscious, with blood splattered across the grey concrete beneath him. Barry had run, rushing past the boat and jumping on his bike, taking off into the afternoon. Kiara and Pope stood, astonished, against the boat. Renna was staring ahead with nothing. 

"We need to get out of here," Kiara said before rushing towards the car, Pope not long behind her. But Renna didn't follow them. She got up and walked out of the shed, head to the ground, as JJ stared after her whilst Atticus stared down at Rafe. 

"Where are you goin' now?" JJ questioned, hands out as he stood, stunned.

"To go find Sarah. I'll meet you there," she shouted behind her, even though it hurt her throat, as she squeezed her lips tight and let her eyes fall dead. She was dead - inside and out. She blocked out the shouts of dismay coming from the blond as she jumped on what she could only assume was Rafe's motorbike. "Somebody's got to, John won't leave without her." 

She took off, her friends coming to a stop behind her as she revved the bike into the air, leaving them in the dust.

',~☼︎~,'

"Nuh-uh," JJ said as Atticus went to jump off the boat, sticking his hand up to push him back. John B was about to leave, Kiara, Pope and JJ all already standing on the dock as they started to tie him off.