CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE

HEISTS;
part one

Atticus had picked Renna up in his mum's car to drive her to the Chateau, Sarah having already been walking there. They didn't know where the blonde was: if she was already there, if she'd only started walking. They kept an eye out, but didn't bother calling.

"Hold on, you think Limbrey, the Carla Limbrey, is the person responsible for Big John's life? The same chick with a broken foot?" Atticus repeated with wide eyes, lips forming a straight line on his distracted face.

"She doesn't have a broken foot, love. She has GPD," she explained with a small smile. He spared her a glance as his fingers drummed along the steering wheel. 

"She has what?"

"GDP, generic plot device. Pope told me about it, it's why she uses crutches and coughs all the time," Renna summarised as she looked out the front windscreen, eyeing the footpath for a certain teen.

He screwed up his face, mimicking a gag. "That's gross."

"Anyways, she's the only person it could've been! It's not like he would be able to do all this by himself, if we're being realistic here," she mumbled, her eyes moving to rest on the side of the boy's face.

"Well, are you gonna tell JB?" He asked, sparing her a glance.

"He probably already knows, he's with his dad right now . . . I hope."

"We'll ask Sarah when we see her, she'll know," he smiled, his hand not occupying the wheel coming to rest on her knee as he sent her a reassuring smile. She smiled back with a little nod.

"Oh my god, look, there she is!" Renna grinned, pointing at the blonde walking down the side walk in front of them. "Pull over." 

Atticus slowed down, a smirk growing on his face, as he quietly drove next to her. Renna sent him a confused look before watching him slam his palm into the horn, causing the girl on the sidewalk to jump around in fright. Renna sent a slap to his shoulder as he laughed, head ducked down, while the girl outside approached their car with an unimpressed look. He wound down the window. 

"You're embarrassing, Ace. Embarrassing," she declared in a deadpan with a finger pointed in his face before hopping in the back. 

"I just want you to know, Cam, that I had absolutely nothing to do with that," Renna smiled, sending a playful glare Atticus' way in the midst. 

"I know, Rei. You're not as bad as douchebag over there," the blonde in the back smirked, nodding in Atticus' direction. He stared up into the rearview mirror. 

"What the hell, Sarah? That was rough," he mumbled before looking back at the road, brows furrowed. Renna hummed teasingly. 

"Look, you've made poor baby Atticus sad now." He turned to her, a pout displayed on his bottom lip. Renna laughed, pushing his head back to face the road. "Get outta here."