CHAPTER SIXTY

HEISTS;
part two

THANKFULLY, RENNA DIDN'T HAVE TO communicate with the oblivious Reed Slater on the other side of the ferry. Instead, Sarah swallowed her fear and managed to convince Topper to let the group use his truck. However, there was a twist. He had to drive it. 

Sarah, Topper, Kiara, and JJ stayed back while the rest of them searched for the carriage with the cross. Atticus and Renna ventured one way, jumping over gaps and landing on shipping containers, while Pope and Cleo went the other. 

"Seven five zero," Renna mumbled beneath her breath as she climbed down the ladder on one of the trains. Atticus' stayed on top, watching from above, as she examined the container with an annoyed sigh. "We're on the wrong end." 

Atticus groaned, foot tapping against the painted metal beneath him, before he started climbing down the ladder beside the blonde. "Pope and Cl-" Atticus began, only to get cut off by the sound of brakes squealing. He paused in his descent, head swivelling towards the girl on the ground, as the place he was standing started to move. Renna widened her eyes as the boy quickly threw his arm out. "Quick! Jump on!" He shouted, palm facing her worried stance. 

She shook herself out of it before grabbing on, fingers interlacing with his own, while he swung her onto the cold, moving surface. "This was not part of the plan," she gasped as she clung onto the boy's shoulder, her other hand pressed firmly against the shipping container's outer wall. He grinned. 

"When does anything ever go to plan, darlin'?"

She laughed. "It doesn't," she mumbled, leaning forward to press a kiss to his lips. They clung onto the ladder rails as the train travelled around the tracks, waiting for it to stop where they'd planned it to. They waited and waited, and just as they thought it wasn't going to work, the train finally drew to a stop. 

They cheered, Atticus pressing a kiss to the girl's head before he peered around the corner, watching as the door in the front carriage opened. They were only one carriage away from the front. 

"Shit," he whispered as he moved back, spine pressed against the metal behind them. Renna furrowed her brows. 

"Wh-"

"Man, right there. Go round, go round," he ordered urgently, hands on her shoulders as he guided her forward. She widened her eyes as she moved around the outside of the carriage, clinging to the opposite side to make space for Atticus to shuffle in too. He did so silently, peering around the side of the wall to watch the man walk past with his torch painting the ground. 

"Atticus, we gotta go," she mumbled, watching the policemen eye the tracks curiously in front of them. He followed her train of sight, cursing beneath his breath.