CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

MIDSUMMERS;
part two

RENNA WAS SURPRISED WHEN JOHN B ran alongside her, having to do a double take before pulling him into a disbelieving hug. She hadn't seen him in days, the longest time spent without his presence for what felt like ever, so to see his same curiosity-spiked eyes and radiating smile was a real-life dream come true.

"Hey, guys, so like . . . my dad's already gonna kill me. So, what's the mandatory meeting about?" Pope asked, his fingers fiddling together as he sat down on one of the fallen tree logs. The Pogues were crowded around the fire, some holding out sticks to push against the enlightened wood whilst others just held onto their own hands.

"Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed," JJ mumbled as he threw the stick between his two hands.

"You ready for this?" John questioned sceptically.

"Yeah," Kiara said with wide eyes.

"Can you just hurry up and say it, please?" Renna exasperated after she let out an annoyed sigh.

"Woah, Renna, calm your farm," Atticus joked lightly, nudging her with his  shoulder before their friend finally began to tell his recently accumulated story.

"So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant," he let out.

"Oh my god. Here we go again with this." Pope rolled his eyes, causing Atticus and Renna to share a nervous look.

"No. All right, wait," JJ shushed him as he continued to wave his stick around. "Hear him out, alright?"

"It's been here the whole time. It's on the island."

"Are you serious? Oh my god!" Kiara grinned ecstatically.

"You're kidding me," Renna shook her head with a low laugh of disbelief.

"I'd like to voice my scepticism," Pope interjected with a pointed finger.

"I'm sure you would, Pope," John B sighed.

"He definitely would," Atticus budded in with a grin.

"But, can I please present you with my evidence, sir?" He asked, holding out his hand as he stood up.

"Proceed," Pope waved, looking up at him with the light of the fire to help illuminate his face.

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell's that?" Kiara asked, Renna and Atticus nodding confusingly from beside her. They hadn't even heard of the name before.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out. Here you go." He passed the letter to Renna, Kiara and Atticus looking over either side of her shoulders.