Chapter 24: Distance

Media: https://pin.it/1kcAf9C

To celebrate the story's first 100 votes, here's an early chapter! Thank you, everyone~

The night deepened and the moon showed itself but was still surrounded by reddish-gray clouds. Sometimes they covered it completely like a veil hiding the beauty of a lady.

Inside the receiving hall of Zhongqing courtyard, Wan Li Wang sat at the highest seat. Unperturbed, she was reading reports from Suliang's different districts.

Aside from her furrowed brows earlier, there was no other sign of getting upset. Wangye was never affected by anything. No matter what happened, she would remain unruffled. As she grew older year by year, there was an illusion that she was an immortal more and more.

Who among mortals could face death and violence with a calm expression?

Far and across from the King was Long Tang who couldn't stop fidgeting on her chair. She wasn't bold enough to make big movements but her eyes darted from her hand to the objects around the room.

Not knowing what to feel about her adoptive mother who looked like she didn't even care about the blunder Junzhu did.

A heavy gloomy air clung to her. She didn't know what awaited her.

There was a series of rhythmic footsteps and the official outside greeted someone. "Wangye is waiting for his Highness. Please come inside."

Sure enough, Long Sangyu appeared. It was obvious he rushed here. He hadn't taken off his state clothes.

Junzhu hung her head low and bit her lips. If one didn't know the atrocious things she did, she just looked like a normal teen.

Long Xu Le didn't raise her head from the memorials she was reading. "Sit."

Without a word, Ping Junwang obeyed and waited.

In the palace, everyone was lighthearted when they meet the prince. But once Wan Li Wang was present, even breathing seemed to be needing her orders.

They were perfectly aware that nothing could move wangye. Her presence always took the largest space in a room.

Long Sangyu learned the things that happened as he was on the way here. Even though the information was sensitive, he still listened attentively.

However, it was hard to suppress the bias in his heart. He didn't want to believe that his little niece was able to do that. Then, wouldn't it mean that Beauty Feng was behind all of this?

He tried looking at his da jie's expression to discern her thoughts. But if he was never able to do that before, there was no reason that he could do it now.

Wan Li Wang was finally done answering the urgent written requests. She raised her head and the two people tensed.

Her unsympathetic voice rang out. "The two mei ren in Tianmi courtyard are dead."

Long Tang hissed in pain as the cup of hot tea on her hand spilled when she shook.

"H-how can it be? I..." I didn't kill them!

That was what she wanted to say.

"What do you think happened?" Long Xu Le took in the appearance of her adoptive daughter. The young girl looked like she wanted to defend herself.

There was the faintest curve on the King's lips while asking that.

Fear gripped the Junzhu's heart. Being raised in the palace, she didn't lack education. She had literary, arithmetic, cultural, and physical education. Even if she went to Tanglin, her learning wouldn't lose to any of the young heirs there. And because she worked thrice as hard, it could be said that she was really smart.