Chapter: 48 Advisors

True to her Highness' words, four bodies were hung on the southern gates the day after.

It was a testament to the King's dedication to protect the citizens. The scene of assassins appearing in the middle of the lake was now being sung in tea houses in the first district.

Some of the most clandestine shops even dared to mention the King's veiled lover.

Surprisingly, the storytellers who made this narrative didn't meet any backlash like the previous people who dared to mention wangye in their works. Thus, it became the start of operas starring the fairy held inside a lonely wangfu.

Nobody dared to mention Wan Li's name of course. But from the mannerisms of the unnamed King, it was obvious who it was.

In Ping Junwang's study...

"What do you mean you can't stop those tea houses?!" The prince was seething.

"Forgive this servant, your Highness. It seems Governor-General Su's men are protecting them."

Long Sangyu felt the veins in his temples throbbing. "Su! Chen!"

That man was the most annoying out of all of his elder sister's Danwan Troops.

At the same time in the front court at the office of affairs of the King sat her advisors.

"News on the Juangxian Pass." King Wan Li was at the head of the table.

"Reporting to wangye, most of the Jin family has successfully been captured and is now being interrogated for their crimes..."

The man in his mid-forties paused his sentence mid-way but Wangye was sharp.

"And what of the Yao?"

The advisor shut his eyes and exhaled. "The two-pronged attack this official suggested failed. People on the Yao's side were more alert than expected and they fled."

There was a buzz among the individuals in the table and they started asking more questions.

"Does the Jin family know their allies escaped?"

"That would make the interrogations more difficult! The Jin family would deny all allegations against them."

"Brother Chang, we all thought you were confident of this operation..."

"Now, now, brothers and sisters. Let's not put blames so early. Isn't that why we put spare traps on the way?" One of them tried to ease the tension. 

Everyone looked at each other and then at the empty seat between them.

The silent King had to ask.

"Where is Su Chen?"

The contingency plan they spoke of heavily relied on the Governor-General of the Outer Districts.

Beside her Grace, Xiao Hao couldn't stay quiet anymore. He faked a cough and whispered beside Long Xu Le's ear.

"The blasted brat is out listening to opera-"

Before he could even finish his sentence, the door flew open.

"Forgive this soldier for being late. It seems the travel wore me out and made me wake up late."

Su Chen knelt by the entrance and didn't dare to continue walking to his designated spot.

King Wan Li didn't even look at him as she read reports from different parts of Suliang.

"What are you dawdling about, boy? Tell what happened to the Yao!"

There were only two people in the world that Governor- General Su wouldn't dare to talk back to. Wan Li Wang and his adoptive father Xiao Hao.