Chapter 101: Last Lesson

Melo has something to say: This is the last chapter of Volume 1. Volume 2 will start right after this. But it will be posted on a new book and this will be marked completed. Thank you for being with me in this journey. And do you know that we finished this book just before its anniversary? Happy anniversary!

"Your Highness! How could you do this?! Our King loved and cared for you the most!"

It was a furious and miserable voice. The owner was an old eunuch who looked bedraggled as compared to his usual careful composure. He was tied with a rope and was being dragged by imperial soldiers.

His eyes were bloodshot and his voice was hoarse and full of questioning but he never once cursed at the Prince. This was the dignity of Zhongqing's servants.

This old eunuch was none other than Chief Cheng Gong. Tears ran down endlessly on his old wrinkled face. But all he could say was 'how could you'.

The sound was extremely heartbreaking.

"Cheng Gong, you also raised this prince from childhood. With a word, these soldiers will let you retire in peace." He turned sideways. "Will the Censor give this prince face once?"

The middle aged man, who knew if he found his conscience upon hearing those words, nodded. "Of course, it won't be that difficu-"

"This old slave is loyal to the King. I walked with Her Highness thousands of miles, I will walk with her until the end."

Chief Cheng seemed to have found his last strength and broke through the soldiers relying on the element of surprise. The rope binding him was also untied.

On his hand was a small dagger given by the King. Cheng Gong swung it at the Censor who was nearest him and managed to slash through the other's chest.

Pandemonium seemed to have broken in this courtyard but the soldiers from the capital were not incompetent. They hurriedly attacked the old eunuch and soon contained him along with the others who wanted to rebel.

Of course, containing them meant death.

Long Sangyu watched with his own two eyes the eunuch that took care of him from young to adulthood be pierced by a blade. His previous pristine clothes were stained by his own blood.

The wrinkles around his eyes always reminded him how strict this eunuch was when he taught the rules and glared at them. But His Highness also always managed to make him laugh by his antics so the eunuch would forget about Xiao Bao and Sangyu's mistakes.

His Highness only felt that an unknown force stole his breath and his world turned a shade darker.

Chief Cheng was forced to kneel in his last breath but he still smiled evilly at the Censor. This scene scared the middle aged man so much that the image of the eunuch smiling at him would probably haunt his dreams forever.

This last stand still carried the brand of his master. Wan Li Wang.

All around the king's palace, similar scenes happened. The most loyal and the longest serving people wouldn't let themselves be detained and insisted on fighting to the end. This was also their last gift to the Prince. If they rebel against His Highness, it would create more distance between them. And hopefully... just hopefully, Junwang would be in the clear.

These soldiers said the master was treasonous then there would be no good end for them. It was better to give the soldiers some headache until the end.

As opposed to them, the young servants of the wangfu were really witty and followed the officers' words without fail. In the eyes of the soldiers, the young servants didn't care about the old geezers' sacrifices and even buttered up to them.