Chapter 69: Free Pass

Happy Chapter 69, hehe funni number

These days, there was a subtle shift in the air of Zhongqing. 

Feng Yanyan seemed to have a free pass in Wangye's courtyard. Eunuch Cheng Li would usher him in as soon as he stepped into the inner gate. Meals would be prepared whenever he was here too.

But Beauty Feng had a pressing question in his mind. He wanted to ask this to the young eunuch for quite some time but couldn't bring himself to do so.

He didn't know whether it was alright to ask Wangye.

"What's bothering you? Spit it out."

The mei ren jumped in his seat. He didn't know he was that obvious.

Wan Li Wang was distracted with his fidgeting. She was working and she saw him in her peripheral vision looking like his seat was made of hot coals.

He didn't answer.

"Ben dian already told you, you only have to prepare your luggage. All the people will be mobilized accordingly." She was referring to his stay in the Mo mansion.

But Feng Yanyan only rose from his seat and went near the King.

"Wangye..."

"What is it?" Long Xu Le was still patient.

"Wangye..."

Her Highness dropped the memorial she was holding. "Feng. Yanyan."

Onyx eyes met his light brown ones.

"Hehe, I was wondering because... you know. The Empress..."

"The Empress what?" Long Xu Le's brow twitched in annoyance. A storm was already brewing inside the study.

Feng Yanyan knew he was in danger if he dilly dallied more. "Because the Empress said you have lots of concubines and tongfang but I don't see any of them."

>tóng fáng - 同房 - a servant whose only purpose is to share the bed with. Even though the master slept with them, they are not considered a concubine<

He closed his eyes and said this in one breath.

When he didn't hear any response after a while, he covered his face but took a peek at her from the gaps between his fingers.

There was a rare look of confusion on Long Xu Le's face. "She said what?"

Beauty Feng's brain worked so he stood straighter. He had to be careful of the words he said here.

"Her Majesty didn't say it directly... but on multiple occasions hinted that the King of Suliang's rear yard is teeming with beauties but no proper consort."

"Oh, is that why you were sent here? To add to the number of beauties?"

Feng Yanyan read the hidden danger in that tone.

"Hehe, Feng has no idea."

Long Xu Le rubbed the space between her brows. "Did you ask this to anyone else?"

"Hmm? I was about to-"

"Don't. Don't mention it to anyone else in the wangfu." Other people can mention it but if Feng Yanyan did, it would be another round of suspicions again.

It would look like he was desperate to be named as a concubine.

Beauty Feng shrugged. He didn't exactly know why he shouldn't but alright. Just do as she said. It was probably some weird palace rule again.