Chapter 34: Contradictions

Media Source: https://pin.it/30tmcdB

Long Xu Le had long sensed Beauty Feng's presence by the door but since she was handling household matters, her eyes didn't touch his silhouette.

Come to think about it, her orders now were because of him anyway. What with storming here and accusing her Highness of trying to kill him covertly.

The King wanted to scoff. Feng Yanyan had no value if he was dead.

Finishing giving instructions to Cheng Gong, Wan Li Wang dismissed the eunuch. Only then did her attention go to the mei ren by the door.

Her lackadaisical eyes turned sharp for a moment. Feng Ting.

Xiao Hao who was beside the King understood her brief pause. Beauty Feng indeed looked like the man at first glance. Other than that, there were no more similarities.

Her Highness' gaze flickered to the shelves beside Feng Yanyan in an instant. Ever since snatching the Qinwang title, there was never an incident that she had to look away from someone.

The downcast sight hardened somewhat. She could barely remember Feng Ting's face but the way Feng Yanyan stood now was how she imagined a younger Feng Ting would have looked like.

As more and more emotions ate Long Xu Le's insides, her countenance became more and more impenetrable.

No one felt her abnormality. Not even Xiao Hao who let out a sigh of admiration at the young man's appearance.

"Feng da ren looks more like a man now." The middle-aged man was short of cursing at the difference of a person's aura just because of his clothes.

Feng Yanyan himself didn't feel insulted at these words even though they implied that he looked like a woman on normal days. There were much more vulgar things said to him before. Both from people from the low social class and those in the nobility. From this era to the one before.

The faint smile on his lips was undeterred but his puffy eyes made him look more endearing and pitiful like a young boy who lost his prized marbles.

He bowed in salute and only noticed halfway that he was doing a martial greeting with his fist on his open palm rather than the palace curtsy. Mentally face-palming, his old habits seemed to have surfaced because he saw his fourth brother. But he didn't change the greeting midway. That would be most awkward.

Xiao Hao watched in interest. It was refreshing to see the supposedly prettiest person of Tanglin complete a martial greeting with exact precision. It seemed that being a Feng wasn't really just a name.

But why enter the palace when every generation of Feng was dedicated to the battlefields?

"Thanking wangye for mediating the conflict earlier..." Feng Yanyan's voice was rigid, feeling like he was back at his grandfather's courtyard reporting the results of his studies.

Long Xu Le was keen and felt the discomfort the young man was desperate to hide. She was puzzled. This wasn't the kind of fear he'd shown her before.

That was funny. Feng Yanyan feared someone or something more than King Wan Li?

She thought a bit about what happened. It was unlikely that Beauty Feng was this scared of his fourth cousin. Then it must be the person behind Feng Yangzhi.

Her Highness soon understood. It was Feng Haotian, the Feng patriarch.

Another layer of mystery laid before Wan Li Wang's eyes.

Feng Haotian's letter implied his great concern for his fifth grandson. She didn't doubt it one bit because her previous exchanges with the old man drew a tough and formidable military leader in her mind. But this sudden letter was only short of confessing to her that Feng Yanyan was the hidden and precious pearl of the Feng family, no matter how brief it was.