Chapter 30: Responsibility

"Raise your heads up. Ben dian has to admire your daring."

King Wan Li's voice was laced with cold sarcasm.

JuZi did as told but her gaze remained attached to the edge of wangye's clothes.

Her peripheral vision told her that her grandmother, Guo momo, was beside her. The others were probably other servant girls under her grandmother's command and guards including Guard Tang.

>The guard Juzi brought when Feng Yanyan sneaked out<

Guo momo was in charge of assigning heavy labor manpower to different courtyards. It was considered a middle to high position in the palace. She was a rank lower than the head palace momo. But since she didn't meet any of the Long family, few people wanted to snatch this role.

Long Xu Le stared at these people. There were less than twenty of them. Serving inside her palace while also belonging to another family.

"The punishment for disloyalty is death to third degree familial relations."

The room seemed colder now. The blood running in their veins slowed down and their skulls went numb.

Guo momo kowtowed gently and deeply. "Wangye is wise. Your servants are not afraid to die. However, wangye must know the Feng family only ever had one master."

JuZi heard her grandmother speak as she exhaled labored breaths.

She knew her family's history. They were a side branch of the Feng family who served directly under the royal family. To preserve the already lowly Feng family in Tanglin, they concealed this identity after the exile 16 years ago.

JuZi was four years old at that time. Both her parents perished during the harsh conditions of traveling to Suliang. There was danger everywhere but her grandmother fiercely protected her. The old woman didn't even have the time to grieve for her only son and daughter-in-law.

In time, nobody in the new wangfu knew the existence of the Feng family. After all, servants were registered under the family they were serving.

"The Feng patriarch once sent General Ting to your Highness' aid. This servant didn't contact the young general nor make our presence known in the palace. There was no need. These servants belong to the Long family. However, Feng patriarch reached out to this servant to take care of the young master Feng Yanyan.

Wangye, it was all the Feng family could do to protect this precious son. The point person was only me. This servant swears in her life that these other people have nothing to do with my selfishness."

JuZi tilted her head to look at her grandmother. The woman with graying hairs was still the same strong woman she knew.

"Are you now daring to preempt ben dian's rules?" King Wan Li's face was frost-bound. Not a drop of emotion could be felt from her.

Looking at them and looking at dead bodies were no different.

Their fault lied in the fact that they proactively hid their origins and made it seem they were doing something suspicious.

Any master would find this intolerable and see it as a sign of betrayal. Their heads could be cut today.

JuZi was shivering from the fear and other emotions but she didn't want to be useless. Her grandmother didn't deserve death.

Bit by bit, she raised her head.

"Wangye... this servant was born as a person of the Eastern Palace. My parents died during the exile to Suliang and my grandmother raised me by herself. All these years, this servant was cultivated to be loyal to wangye. We are all just like other maids and guards in the palace. With the only difference being tied to the Feng family who is only loyal to your Highness. Wangye, this servant doesn't want my grandmother to die... We never betrayed the wangfu."