Chapter 51: Decree from Tanglin

Earlier...

"Didn't Wangye tell me to dress properly?"

That was Feng Yanyan's answer when King Wan Li had been staring at his attire for quite some time now.

Long Xu Le's left eye kept twitching. He looked like he would be going to a palace banquet. But they would just receive guests from Tanglin Great Palace. She hadn't even said what they came here for.

"Clothes make the man and Feng happens to love fashion."

"Fashion?" Her Grace was puzzled.

"Er... fashion is setting the standards for appearance, clothes, accessories, hair and so forth." He glanced sheepishly at the King.

Long Xu Le nodded, somewhat understanding. Wasn't it said in the reports that Feng Yanyan set the standard of dressing of nobility back in Tanglin?

Feng Yanyan found himself walking along her Highness to the receiving hall of the palace. Yesterday, King Wan Li sent him a message that he should go there today as the whole palace would receive a decree from the Empress.

Of course, all of the residents of the wangfu received the same message.

It just so happened that Feng Yanyan was late and got found out by Wangye. Hence, they appeared at the same time.

The King's retinue of eunuchs and court ladies were used to this but it was obvious it wasn't the same for the other mei ren and Concubines.

Everyone wanted to gawk at Brother Feng but didn't dare to. After all, it looked like Wangye was his biggest backer right now.

Who said before that Beauty Feng lost the competition? Right now, he looked to be the greatest winner of them all. King Wan Li was the master of Suliang. Catching her Grace's eyes was the highest honor.

However, Long Xu Le didn't care about other people's thoughts regarding honor and beauty. She just took a glance at her adopted daughter. The girl was behaving herself in the corner, hence, the man behind the King hadn't seen her.

"Feng Yanyan, follow ben dian."

With a flick of her sleeves, King Wan Li sat at the main seat with Beauty Feng standing behind her.

That was when he saw the girl in the corner of the hall.

His body uncontrollably shivered in reflex and he bit his tongue.

Long Xu Le was faintly aware of what was happening to him. The King sighed.

"Cheng Li, get a small seat." It was a soft order.

But because of the silence reigning in the hall, everybody heard it. It left them puzzled.

Small seat? The Junzhu was already sitting though.

The eunuch from the Tanglin Great Palace suddenly looked energetic. So wangye was willing to give him this much face? He was honored.

Just as the eunuch was about to speak an elaborate speech of gratitude, the cushioned chair was placed behind the beautiful man who had been tailing behind the King since earlier.

The old eunuch's face cracked in shame.

Feng Yanyan felt gentle hands steadying him. "Young Master Feng, our Highness wants you to sit."

Cheng Li was the youth apprentice and adopted son of Cheng Gong. Everybody in this room knew how this little eunuch acted on normal days.

Haughty and strict. When did he ever have such a kind side?