Chapter 41: Center of Attention

It took every fiber of Feng Yanyan's being not to squirm under King Wan Li's stare. Just because he brought up the Summer Solstice Festival, he was being gawked at like a criminal.

"Alrigh-" the words got swallowed when Long Xu Le opened her mouth.

"Go with Sangyu." Her Grace turned around as though it wasn't worth her time anymore.

But Cheng Gong, who was following her, had deep thoughts. Beauty Feng seemed to be more significant than he first thought. To actually be escorted by Junwang? 

One must know that the official way of being escorted outside by someone of Prince status was only reserved for a master/lady of the house. What was Feng Yanyan?

He was a mei ren. Not even half a master of the palace. To put it bluntly, all the Beauties sent from Tanglin were freeloaders or unwelcome guests but the palace had to treat them with respect.

Then how was Beauty Feng any different? He was now neither a master nor a freeloader. It was confusing.

Far from other people's conjectures, Long Xu Le was thinking about whether partaking in a festival was included in the term "taking care". Old Master Feng told her to take care of his grandson, after all.

In the end, she thought of just letting him be. If he enjoyed his stay in the wangfu, she guessed that meant the King's people took care of him well.

But the summer solstice festival was deeply appreciated in Suliang. Any kind of feast symbolized the rise of the province from its impoverished state of before. That was why compared to the capital, festivals in Suliang tended to be more energetic and crowded.

If Feng Yanyan was harmed while roaming outside, this would probably reach Old Master Feng's ears. But on this account, she could trust Sangyu to watch Beauty Feng and protect him at the same time.

Long Xu Le felt this arrangement was okay. In any case during the festival, Suliang's army, her Danwan Troops, would be the force surveilling the perimeters and ensuring public security. So it was another layer of peace of mind.

However, Feng Yanyan couldn't walk properly. Outwardly, he thanked her Highness but his feet felt like lead and he was just dragging them. The energy he had was sapped out of his body.

Why did it need to be the prince? He could go out anytime with just a few guard escorts.

"Do you have objections?"

That question was a lightning that struck his heart. He jolted and straightened his body, realizing that King Wan Li was quite perceptive of other people's feelings.

"This one dare not." He lowered his head and bowed.

Long Xu Le looked at the pretty man. He wasn't good at lying. "Behave yourself well."

She tapped his arm twice and walked ahead once again. The festival was tomorrow. He shouldn't cause any ruckus there. Or else, he wouldn't be allowed to go out or even sneak out anymore.

---

"Is mei ren sure of what you saw?" A thin and short eunuch asked in a low voice while cleaning the shelves.

Those in the palace knew him as the second-ranked eunuch serving Concubine Zhang. Junwang didn't promote this eunuch when he took the Concubine and instead assigned other higher-ranked servants.

The people of the wangfu talked about this for a period of time. Because such a thing could mean the eunuch was unsatisfactory.

However, Concubine Zhang didn't seem to mind and still used this eunuch frequently.