Chapter 33: Something Different

A/N: Hohoho It's the start of December here. I would have made padorus if I had time but life keeps getting in the way

Long Xu Le paced back and forth in front of the newly replaced table. She didn't know how the scaredy-cat could break that red sandalwood desk. Well, it was good that he didn't fracture his hand.

Her Highness paused a little.

Good?

She was baffled. The King didn't care if those soft hands were fractured. It would just be a pity.

"What are you anxious about?" Xiao Hao had the expression of an uncle wanting to hear gossip.

Wan Li Wang's peach blossom eyes were blank. Her lips pursed in a thin line and her hands were behind her back. Her straight posture, tall stature and the way her hair was pulled at the top of her head by a single coronet spoke of power and strength. The black strands that swayed behind her revealed just a hint of androgynous allure.

Looking at the King when she wasn't on the battlefield, one could have the illusion that she was just a young matriarch of a martial arts family. Rigid but oozing with charisma.

It was a shame most people couldn't see this side of her. They were always prejudiced and filled with fear when looking at wangye.

Usually, Xiao Hao was too busy to care about her Highness' personal affairs. But when he had downtimes like this, he worried about the future. As someone who watched the little gongzhu who grew up into a qinwang, he wanted her to have a happy married life.

Alas, no man deserved her.

He paused and recalled someone. Ah, if that person was alive, he might be the one beside Wan Li Wang today.

Xiao Hao shook his head. He didn't even have white hairs yet but he must be going senile to think that he could pair wangye with a person.

That was when the two in the study heard a muffled shout. Long Xu Le stood frozen, trying to heighten her senses.

Zhongqing was special in that the rooms were constructed with good insulation. She hired hidden architectural experts for the wangfu, away from the Yao family's prying eyes.

Her Highness and her people all had high martial arts. If she wanted privacy, that would be difficult if she were to have a normal courtyard. So this was a necessity.

She closed her eyes to heighten her senses and finally heard faint sobs.

Wan Li Wang frowned. Unknowingly, her feet were already moving to the side hall.

Xiao Hao marveled at this sight. He had seen the King drive on while there was carnage all around.

A kid lamenting his mother's rape and death. A soldier dying on the battlefield. An elderly perishing from famine.

She pressed on. Inevitably sacrificing those lives in exchange for saving the whole village, army or province.

And yet there was a person crying in the side room and she was too troubled?

He wanted to laugh while wondering if Long Xu Le even knew what she was doing. Well, it was too early to judge what this was.

For all he knew, this might just be a fleeting fascination.

When her Highness entered the room, she saw Fourth Young Master Feng's hand suspended mid-air. It was obvious he didn't know how to comfort his cousin who kept wiping his eyes but more tears flowed out.

Beauty Feng's fingers still had the small wounds from destroying the table. Long Xu Le's brows furrowed deeper.

Feng Yanyan's vision was blurry. Add that to the fact that he barely kept his eyes open because he just wanted to stop these stupid tears. He had been too riled up today.