Chapter 21: Trouble magnet

(Second person POV)

"What is it?" a female's voice asked from outside the junkyard where the entire Fangpyre army was laying in wait.

"It's quiet..." a male's voice murmured in reply, "My family's never quiet..."

...There are more than four pairs of feet... you thought, using your sound element to listen in on your surroundings, The Ninja must have brought two friends... They're drawing near...

Sure enough, a familiar man clad in a blue ninja gi ran into view, looking around the property in search of something or someone. His attention gravitated toward the dented lime-green fridge that was barricaded by a flimsy bar of metal, the person did a backflip and kicked the blockade away, revealing a tied-up Ed and Edna. Still struggling in their bonds, the couple seemed relieved yet worried to see the male, their words muffled by the piece of duct tape that covered their mouths.

"What happened!" the human you guess to be Jay exclaimed as he ripped the bind off the pair, "Who did this?!"

"Oh, sssweetheart! You came!" Mrs Walker beamed, pleased that her son had come to visit despite their situation.

"Ooh, you gotta get outta here! Ya shouldn't have come, it'sss the sssnakesss!" the man next to her fretted, his attitude contrasting his wife's.

"The bite of the Fangpyre!" the old man who they called 'sensei' remarked, "Once they sink their teeth, their venom can turn anything into a serpent! It's only a matter of time before the full transformation is complete!"

Suddenly, the Serpentine around you began to get into action, launching their surprise attack on their enemies. Watching from Lloyd's right side while Fangtome stood to his left, you pulled out your sketchbook in the hopes of being able to take down some information. In the meantime, I should draw the Fangpyre's staff so I can accurately find the antivenom once I get my hands on it... you decided, beginning to memorise the sceptre's every detail.

"Uh... Is that wrecking ball staring at me?" the ninja in black gawked, getting into position to fight as the steel object began to swing in their direction.

"Duck!" Jay yelled out as the rest of his teammates dispersed, leaving him to tackle his parents to the ground.

Swallowing the guilt that was bubbling in your throat, you pretended to remain indifferent to the situation, uncaring for Mr and Mrs Walker's well-being. ...I should get down there and fight so I can take the opportunity to let them go, you thought, preparing to leap off the pyramid of abandoned tires when Lloyd grabbed you by the sleeve.

"Stay with me, (y/n)," the boy worriedly mutters, unwilling to let you put yourself in danger.

"If I join the battle, then it would give us the highest possibility of beating them," you asserted, on the verge of leaping into the fray.

"But... but what if you get hurt?" your human companion asks as a pineapple-yellow fear filled his aura.

"Anyone can get hurt by anything," you answer, "Even breathing too much of the very oxygen that keeps us alive could hurt us, or we could rise through the pain and grow stronger than ever before. That's just the way humans are; more fragile than the thinnest of glass panes, yet we tend to fix ourselves when we shatter, coming back stronger and more experienced,"

Mulling over your words but still not letting go of his hold on the back of your cloak, the child's attention was suddenly directed away from you when the old man that was with the ninja called out "Lloyd!"

Letting a soft sigh, you thought to yourself Well, staying with him for a little while longer couldn't hurt. The end goal is to give Mr and Mrs Walker the antivenom so switching from plan A to plan B isn't too much of a change...