Chapter 44: Mechanical heart

(Second person POV)

Running after the bird that was flying over the land, you scanned the various environments, the shutter in your head going off constantly as you made sure to remember all of these scenes so you could draw them down and show your teacher once the two of you reunite. The ground changing from tangerine-orange sand to coin-grey snow, the five of you followed after the raptor without much complaint.

"I guess good fortune is really far away..." Kai remarks, scanning the icy desert in front of him.

Letting out a hum of agreement, you didn't pause in your steps continuing to follow after the falcon, thinking of this as some sort of training course instead of a possible wild goose chase.

Still, you thought as you momentarily closed your eyes, It's odd how I can't sense this bird's aura... All living things have some sort of aura that I can see, but this... this thing's different. I don't get anything from it, yet it flies and swoops like a normal bird... Perhaps it is a part of Zane's ice element? But it doesn't seem to be made of frost, and how is it that I can't make one of my own? I can use the same abilities as him, but he can make living birds...? Is it because I am the owner of the Void element and not ice? But... Sensei said that I can copy the power and use it pretty much the same as the original user...

Climbing up a rocky mountain, you almost reached the top when you heard Jay pant from below you, "Keep... Keep going, I'll... I'll catch up later," before collapsing from exhaustion on a stone ledge.

Leaving him behind, albeit reluctantly, you followed after the bird from behind Kai, so you could stop him in case he was going to do something dumb.

Coming across a large ravine that split the land into two, the four of you headed toward a large fallen tree that served as a makeshift bridge, running across the dead log with haste. Reaching the other side, you saw Zane stop and turn around, prompting you to do the same. Catching sight of Cole clinging onto the tree trunk, also seeming out of breath despite only having run for four or so hours.

"I'm good...!" he called, barely halfway across the gorge, "Just... Just takin' a breather!" Panting slightly, he added, "Uh, I'll meet up with you guys shortly!"

Wondering whether it would be alright to leave the male behind, you had little to no time to contemplate the choice as the other two had already begun to set off, urging you to do the same.

After another thirty minutes of sprinting, Kai eventually slowed down, chest heaving with exertion. "Good thing... we're in... peak... physical... condition...!" he huffed before resuming the chase with Zane already having taken off and you only slowing down out of politeness.

Weaving between the trees, the three of you slowed to a stop as the fire user gasps "Gosh, that bird just keeps going!" Pausing for a moment, he catches sight of a wooden sign that was almost completely blanketed in snow. "Hey, what do you make of this?" the teen inquires, his words turning your attention away from the snow-capped wonderland to the board.

"I am not familiar with a 'Treehorn'," the ice elemental responds as you walk closer to the warning to check for any more clues.

"Neither am I," you remark, brushing the gathered frost off the wood, finding it to be rather old and hadn't been touched in a while.

"It's probably just some wild squirrel, heh," Kai assumes as you give him a deadpan expression.

"Then why wouldn't they just write 'Beware of squirrels' then? And why would anyone be aware of squirrels in the first place-" you muttered, poking holes into his theory when the squawking of the Falcon interrupted you.