Chapter 54: Two blind children, see how they run

If you know the sauce of the title, good job. Nice to see someone else who remembers this stuff from their childhood 😉If not, then that's alright. Btw, I add a bunch of idioms/obscure references in my titles if you didn't notice already-

(Second person POV)

Humming to yourself, you shoved everything important into your backpack made out of scraps of cloth, making sure to avoid disturbing the two dolls of you and🔷that were tucked under the covers. "Let's see..." you murmured to yourself, going through a mental checklist, "Snacks... Yes. Water... Yes. Spare clothes for me and🔷... Yep! First aid kit... Got it! Journal... That's here... And finally..."

Quietly opening a drawer so as to not disturb the silence of the night and garner any unwanted attention, you quickly but gently placed the explosives in your bag, making sure the pins had no chance of being pulled out during your escape.

Suddenly, the sound of the trapdoor sliding open made you flinch and turn around in fear. Seeing your cellmate poking his head out from the laboratory, you immediately relax, letting go of the breath you didn't know you were holding.

"Is there something wrong?" you ask, skipping over to the male with a bright grin on your face, "Are we going now?"

"Yeah," he replied, looking over the backpack on your shoulders, "You got everything?"

Nodding enthusiastically, you inquired, "Are you not going to take all of your inventions along? What if the monsters find them?"

"That won't be a problem," he responded, beckoning you underground in case someone saw the two of you trying to escape, "I've taken them apart and destroyed all the useful bits and pieces. The blueprints are in this satchel so I can just rebuild them once we get out of here."

"Eh... That's a shame..." you murmured, looking at the scraps of metal that were once the machines that made your lives even that little bit easier and more comfortable. "I wanted to keep them..."

"Why?" the other muttered in confusion, handing you the broadsword he made you a few months back, "It's not all that special."

"Yeah, but... you made them," you mumbled, accepting the weapon whilst staring down at your shoes, "You made them and you're special to me, so anything you create is just as special! Plus, I think it's super cool how you can create things with your hands using bits and pieces I'd just toss away!"

Staring at you with an unreadable expression, the teen seemed to be analysing you with his honey-gold eyes while you looked up at him almost timidly. With an audible sigh, he opened the onyx-coloured duffle bag on his shoulders and took out a sack which he handed to you. After noticing your confused looks from the pouch to him, he muttered, "The blueprints. You wanted to keep my inventions, right? Then just take the blueprints and read over them while we go, that way you'll be able to make them yourself and won't have to rely on me."

Taking the bag with an excited gasp, you beamed, "Thank you,🔷! I'll be sure to memorise all of them!"

Nodding, he took out a weapon of his own, a bow with two quivers full of arrows, before leading you to the exit he had carved out from the tough stones. As soon as the two of you entered, he pressed a crimson button that was to his left, causing a thick flat boulder to fall down from the top of the doorway, just barely missing the back of the sack he was carrying on his shoulders. Just as you were about to ask him what it was for, a loud boom resounded through the underground tunnels, making you shut your eyes and clasp your hands over your ears due to the shockwave from something heavy and hard slamming to the ground behind the door.