Chapter 66: Trouble Makers

(Second person POV)

Stepping onto the deck of The Destiny's Bounty, you let out a sigh, you absent-mindedly trailed your fingers along the wooden grains of the railing while you found yourself lost in thought again, wondering whether spilling your secrets to your allies would be a good idea. Suddenly, you detected a familiar aura similar in pattern to the northern lights depicted in one of Kusho Sensei's books, making you glance over unhurriedly.

Almost immediately, the onyx-coloured blur tackled you in a hug that made you stiffen and, had you been caught off guard, would have knocked you off your feet. Feeling the child nuzzle himself into your clothes, you rigidly stroked his banana-yellow hair, hearing him muffledly mumble "(y/n)..." through the cloth.

"Lloyd," you replied, catching sight of the boy's father trailing behind him awkwardly, "Did you need something?"

Looking up from his place attached to your waist, he murmured, "I... I thought you left..."

"Well, I did," you answer, making him freeze up, "I went to spend some time with Nya searching for the Fangblade."

With a huff, the child detached himself from you before crossing his arms over his chest, mumbling under his breath, "I could have helped you with that instead of her..." 

Hearing him anyway, you responded, "I'm sure you could have. However, it's dangerous for you to go on these missions as the Serpentine could capture you again-"

"But-!" he spits, his frustration clear as he throws his hands into the air, "Can't they do that to you too?! You're more important than me! You're the Silver Ninja and are super strong!"

"But it's also because I am super strong that I can go," you reply, your answer clearly not the one he wanted as he bites his lip and settles down with a look that clearly said this conversation isn't over. "Besides, I'm a little tougher than you. I won't break as easily."

"...Oh yeah?" Lloyd huffs, burying his face into the collar of his hood as he kicks a loose stone off the deck of the ship, "Then what about the time you fainted in the volcano? Kai had to rescue you and you barely got back ali..." Stopping himself from finishing his sentence, he scowled, looking away from you as the implications of his words hung in the air like the scent of death on your figure.

Saying nothing, you thought about how to respond before letting out a sigh and bobbing down so you could look the boy in the face. "I'm sorry I worried you," you smile, one that comes naturally and easily like the lies that slip from your mouth, "I'll... try to be more careful next time."

"B-but..." the kid murmurs, taking your gloved hand in his own, emerald-green eyes glistening with a fear and worry you have never seen on him before, "What if one day... that isn't enough...?"

Silence overcoming the two of you again, you contemplated how to get him to drop the subject before he gets too wracked with worry. With a kind smile like the ones Catherine used to give before... Pushing the thought away, you beamed nonetheless, gently patting the child's head, forcing yourself not to despise the feeling of contact as you chuckled, "Well, I suppose I'll have to rely on you to protect me then."

Hearing this, Lloyd's eyes brightened with hope, the clouds of anxiety washed away by your words alone, leaving the lime-coloured orbs to glisten like perfectly cut crystals under the sun's warm glow. Seeing the negativity being dispersed, you grinned internally, glad that your plan worked before changing the topic. "Since I didn't get to spend time with you very often, how about we go do something fun now?" you suggested, causing the boy to become all the more elated.

"Yeah!" he whooped, throwing his hands into the air before taking you by the hand and dashing through The Bounty, passing Garmadon in the process. Just as you were about to speak, you caught sight of him giving you a thankful smile before disappearing out of view as you turned the corner, being led by his excited son.