Chapter 64: Crash and burn

(Second person POV)

(Time skip - 1 day)

Teleporting to the front of Catherine's home in the early hours of the morning, you cast a glance toward the not yet risen sun that confirmed that it was indeed five on the dot.

She should be up by now... you thought, pulling out the pair of keys the lady had given to you when you first started living with her. Looking at the charm she had attached to the keyring of a small bunny plush hugging a bright rose-red heart that was far too big for its body, you let out a soft sigh, wondering why she gave it to you in the first place. Why is she so nice to me anyway? I don't know her and it doesn't seem like she knew me either... you muttered in your head, turning the toy between your fingers as you examined it.

A soft trill from Dart brought your attention away from the keychain to the door in front of you. "Ah, right," you murmured, putting the key into the lock and turning it before slipping inside the closed café.

Walking up the stairs, stopped in front of the room that you had borrowed from the woman, finding the bed ready for use as if she had been waiting for your return. With a soft sigh, you rapped on the entrance to her bedroom before asking, "Are you awake, Catherine?"

After a moment of silence, you heard a sleepy yawn sound from behind the closed door before she responded, "(y/n)...? Why are you up so early? Is there something bothering you?"

Thinking over your answer, you murmured, "...I suppose you could say that."

Hearing the sound of shuffling, you were just about to ask if something was wrong when the door opened, revealing the raven-haired lady who was still rubbing the sleep from her dark, ink-like eyes. "Did you want to talk about it?" she inquired, a kind smile on her face despite how tired she still looked.

"If you still want to sleep some more, then go ahead," you remark, "It's nothing too urgent and I'd hate to intrude during your resting time."

"No, no!" the other quickly interjected, shaking her head as if to further emphasise her point, "Not at all! I got lots of rest, I promise."

"...Alright," you murmur as she beckoned you in, which you promptly followed before taking a seat at the end of her bed as you did the last time you opened up to her, the seat becoming incredibly familiar to you now.

After a moment of silence that indicated the woman was waiting for you to start speaking of your own accord, you took a deep breath before muttering, "I... didn't tell you the full story last time." Expecting some form of disapproval, you fiddled with your fingers, waiting for her to lash out... which never came.

"I guessed so," she smiled softly instead of being offended by your actions, "I thought I should just wait until you were comfortable enough to speak about it instead of prying."

Nodding slowly, you swallowed the nervous lump in your throat that had formed for next to no reason before uttering, "...The man I had said adopted me... He disappeared almost a year ago and I'm searching for him. I'm sure he's just out there somewhere, waiting for me to find him."

Pausing for a moment, you lowered your voice, eyes lowering as you fell deep in thought. "...But I'm not entirely sure where he is anymore so I want your insight into where he is and what I should do with the connections I've temporarily made while I was here."

After a moment of silence fell over the two of you, Catherine murmured, "I know it may not be in my place to say, but I don't think all of your connections are fake, even if they may seem that way to you. For example, I know that Vanessa, Rea and Zoe are very attached to you. Your friends that sometimes visit always ask if you're serving before reluctantly allowing Zoe to serve them a single cup of tea. Besides, for what it's worth, I genuinely believe that our relationship isn't just some act we decided to put on — at least, not on my part."