Chapter 63: Catalyst

(Second person POV)

(Time skip - 2 weeks)

Sitting on the deck of The Destiny's Bounty, you let out a soft sigh as you stared at the starry sky above, before glancing back down at the Void Crystal that hung around your neck, glowing and twirling with multiple different colours that faded in and out like a galaxy trapped in glass. Clutching it tightly in your hand, you closed your eyes and felt three elements in particular that pulsed more significantly that the rest: ice that nipped at your skin, lightning that fizzed and crackled in your hands, and earth that seemed sturdy and stable in your gasp.

Through the corner of your eyes, you caught sight of three of your allies training with their powers that seemed stronger than usual, even if you took into account the fact that they had unlocked their True Potential. As they used their abilities, your crystal glowed and fizzed with their element, making your brow furrow in confusion. Why was your Void Crystal glowing? Does it have something to do with your allies? Why were their powers so strong when you were in their vicinity? Could your Void Crystal be acting as some sort of megaphone where their powers go in through one end and then are amplified before coming out of the other?

Your mind drifting like the ship you sat on, it quickly went to one specific topic: Sensei. He had told you to find your true potential, but what did that mean anyway? Does it mean unlocking the special power within you? Or does it mean getting past the barriers in your mind? But what did that mean anyway?

Growing frustrated with this train of thought leading nowhere, you ran a hand through your hair, let out a deep sigh, and began heading back down, briefly casting a glance at your three allies who were training. As soon as your eyes met Cole's, you broke away, starting to walk inside when you noticed your face on the glass. Replacing the neutral expression was a look that seemed to be... a mix of anger and guilt? 

Why? Was it because you were envious of your friends' abilities? No, that's not it... Was it... because you hated yourself for not being able to do anything when they were in danger? ...Yes, that's it. You hated yourself for being so weak and so reliant on others. You had to get their help time and time again, whether it be to sort out the emotions that you were too troubled to fix on your own or find your teacher when their own is still missing.

Clicking your tongue in annoyance, you let out another exhale before starting to head in, hoping no one would notice your stressed state. ...I need to figure this out by myself... you muttered to yourself, barely registering the footsteps following behind you, But how? How can I do it if I don't know what to do and what any of this is? I can't bother the others as it would only impede them, no matter how much they say that it's fine to talk to them... Plus, how do I know if they're worth trusting? What if they betray me in the future? What if they hate me if I tell them everything-

Suddenly, the sound of screaming made you jolt, nearly hitting your head on the ceiling in your shock. "...What was that?" a familiar voice murmured, making you even tenser than before.

"...Ah, Cole," you greet quietly, before noticing the three teens behind him, "And Jay, Zane and Nya."

"Did something happen?" the electric user asked with concern, "Did you scream?"

"No," you replied, pulling out your Void Vanquisher with an alert scowl on your face, "And it doesn't seem to be your four either. Then it must be..." Dashing through the corridor to your room, you flung open the door, searching for Dart in the darkness, worried that the person second closest to you was in danger. Finding her scribbling something on a piece of paper in her human form, you let out a silent breath of relief before picking her up in your arms.

"Are you okay?" you murmured gently to the silver-haired girl who nodded in return, a pleased expression on her face.

"Mhn!" she hummed in reply, holding up her paint-covered hands and the drawing she had just done, "Dart is all good! Dart was just drawing Mama, me and Grandpa together in the cave!" With a giggle, she shoved the painting closer to your face, "Look! Grandpa has a scary expression on his face because Dart played a trick on him!" Pausing for a moment, she looked into your eyes with an innocent expression on her face, "When will we get to see him again? It's been a long time! Dart bets he's lost again!"