Chapter 61: Cut and run

(Second person POV)

Nearly slipping on the mud-slick ground, you could feel your heart throbbing in your throat as you went, the heavy rain barely allowing you to see the older male in front of you who had a rough grip on your wrist.

"C'mon, 🟡, faster!" he hissed in a loud whisper, his marigold eyes darting from the uneven path before him and then to you, "We gotta get outta here before they catch up."

With a nod, you forced your legs to keep running despite the burning sensation you felt starting to overwhelm them, your muscles screaming out for a break. But you couldn't afford to slow down, not when both your lives were at stake. Even through the loudness of the raindrops slamming into the ground, you could still hear the animalistic growl of the monsters behind the two of you, crashing through trees and undergrowth as they hunted you down.

"Surely we can-" you gasped out, clutching your weapon (that you finally correctly identified as a naginata, not a sword) in one hand and the blueprints you had memorised over your shoulder, "Surely we can lose them soon, right?"

"Who the hell knows," the other muttered, still not giving up the dash, "We should still be wary though. I doubt they'd give up so easily."

As if to confirm his suspicions, an explosion too close for either of your liking fired off to your right, making you flinch and 🔷's eyes harden. "Let's keep going," he asserted, starting at a brutal pace for your younger legs, practically dragging you behind him.

But I don't wanna be a burden to him, you swallowed, forcing yourself to keep up despite your limbs feeling like they were about to drop off at any second, Not to him, not to Big Brother, not to anyone. Not anymore. With a raggedy inhale, you kept moving through the pain, focusing on the male in front of you and the determination radiating off of him rather than the agony that was your legs.

More, more! you repeated in your head, trying desperately to escape the pursuers hot on your heels as well as the claws of exhaustion that were trying to cage you in their vice-like grip. You desperately wanted to stop, to have even a second's rest, but you knew you couldn't. Not now. If you did, you'd collapse, and if you collapsed now, you might never get back up. If you were by yourself, you would have allowed yourself to stop, but 🔷 was also counting on you not to drag him down and 🔶 and Mother and Father were still captured by those monsters, just waiting for you to go and free them.

Just a little more... You swallowed the lump in your throat, no longer able to distinguish what was sweat and rain on your skin, the humidness making your clothes cling to you and the air thick, so much so that it felt as if you were breathing in solids.

Suddenly, the teen in front of you skids to a stop, causing you to do the same, nearly slipping on the mud-slick ground. Giving him a questioning look, you find him gritting his teeth in annoyance, seemingly subconsciously tightening his grip on your hand. Squinting through the heavy rain that fell like bullets from the sky, you realised the two of you had run into a wall — quite literally.

Looking around, you caught sight of a thin gap between two parts of the rocky cliff base, causing you to brighten up. "We can go through that!" you exclaimed, keeping your voice in a quiet shout, "It's probably too small for the monsters to catch up and we can at least buy some time!"

Nearing the crevice, 🔷 muttered, "And it's also too small for me to fit through, though you should be fine."

Face falling, you glance around at your surroundings in a frantic panic, "Wha... Then what should we do? I-isn't there somewhere else we can escape through?"