Chapter 23: Conversation with the voice in your head

(Second person POV)

The world was blurry again. The familiarly peaceful yet haunting kind of blurry.

You didn't want this. You wanted to be free from the cycle of killing and death, but no matter how hard you tried to pull away, the threads seemed not to budge at all. You didn't want to keep doing this over and over and over again. Sleep was no longer a time for your body and mind to rest and rejuvenate, but rather a kind of torture tailored specifically for you. It made you do the one thing you hated the most; killing your teacher and watching him disappear from your life. Again.

Suddenly, the fogged-up world around you seemed to glitch, causing your body to freeze up out of instinct. You felt a wave of relief wash over you like cool water on a burn, soothing your body and allowing you to weep tears of joy... had you felt any emotion.

"It's kinda boring to repeat things over and over again, isn't it?" a voice so strikingly familiar yet so sickeningly foreign sighed, making you tense up.

"Who... who are you?" you inquired, finding that you were able to move about as you pleased, making you all the more fearful of what was to come.

"Girl, I literally just told you yesterday," the silhouette of a being groaned, annoyance dripping from their words as you heard them move toward you. "It's me, Koun? Or should I say you of the past?"

"Me... of the past...?" you echoed, fear welling up deep in your body as you watched this figure approach you. "What do you want from me...?"

"Eh, nothing much," she shrugged, conjuring a table and two chairs out of the dark mist that swirled around her body, "Just wanted to chat with the person I am now,"

"Why couldn't we have done that outside of a dream?"

"'Cause every time I appear before you, you get scared as all hell and have a panic attack or something," she replies, leaning her cheek against the back of her hand, "Besides, doesn't this feel a little more personal? Since this is in your own head, there's no one else here to disturb us,"

Nodding, you almost timidly inquire "So... what did you want to talk about?"

"Hm... mostly about what you see yourself doing in the future,"

"What do you mean by that?"

"You can't just go in search of this Kusho Sensei forever, y'know. If you do find him, what are you gonna do after that? Live 'happily ever after'?"

"Yes-"

"No! That's both boring as hell and also impossible! That stuff only happens in fairytales, and dude, you are so much more cynical than me that you should know this!" Koun exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air as if to make a point. "Plus, you don't even know if your teacher's already moved on to the Departed Realm-"

"I know that!" you yell, startling the both of you with the volume of your voice. Slumping back in your chair, you let out a long-drawn sigh, looking up to the hazy sky as you mutter "I know that... I know he probably lied to me when saying that he'll stay with me forever... and that he's probably already gone... but... there's a part of me that does want to think that way..."

Koun seemed to look you over as you focused on the sky above you, feeling sadness prickle under your skin. 

"Ugh, whatever!" she suddenly groaned, throwing her hands in the air before leaping out of her chair, "How about I help you until the time comes when I can be reunited with my dad? Well, our dad since we're the same person."