Chapter 22: Freefall

(Second person POV)

Guess I'll have to do everything myself... you thought, using your wind element to get closer to the blue ninja. Good thing I made Dart wind around me pretty tightly, you sighed as you watched the 'snake' look around wildly in panic presumable from being woken from her nap. Once you were close enough to a screaming Jay, you were about to steal the Fangpyre staff off him when you remembered your promise to Mr and Mrs Walker.

...I always keep my word... you muttered in your head as the male caught sight of you, his eyes blown wide with what you assumed to be surprise as a crepe-pink shade made its way across his face. Breathing a sigh of relief that the male was no longer screaming, you were just about to tell him to grab onto your cloak when his friend on the ground yelled out "Jay! You have to concentrate!"

"Ugh! I can't!' the male screeched back, remembering he was falling to his imminent death.

"I think we're gonna have to catch them," the ninja in black remarked to his two other teammates on the ground, making you relax a little.

I don't need to save Jay and I can pretend that my powers weren't working at that moment if anyone asks. Then, I can pretend to get captured and then help give the antivenom to Mr and Mrs Walker, you thought, glad that your plan was coming together.

"I've got them! I got them!" the man in red exclaimed on his motorcycle, swerving here and there to try and catch the two of you.

"No, I got them!" his friend in coal-black asserted, not keeping his eyes on the road.

"They're mine!" the male in white insisted, only for the three of them to crash into each other.

"...As Sensei once said, 'If you want a job done well, you do it yourself'..." you muttered as you used your wind element to push yourself closer to Jay before placing one of your arms under the back of his knees and the other under his back. Hugging the beet-red human to your chest to prevent him from accidentally falling out of your grasp, you used your gravity element to gently float toward the ground just in time to land on the shotgun seat of Mr and Mrs Walker's car.

"N-nice catch," Jay stammered as he chuckled nervously, looking away from your eyes as he rubbed his nape.

"Thank you," you answer, "Though the real people you should be thanking are your parents. I promised them to protect you in the case of danger as well as I can."

"Aw, I knew I liked thisss girl," Edna cooed from behind you, making her son's face turn a deeper shade of pink as the female driving to your left seemed unimpressed.

"And thank you, Ms...?" you remarked, catching the human's attention as her face also turned a soft rose-pink.

"N-Nya," she answered, the words seeming to be caught in her throat, "A-and it's not a big deal. It's to repay you for that time in Jamanakai-"

Suddenly, you heard Fangtom's two heads command "Everyone!"

"Attack!"

As soon as the words left his mouthes, the Fangpyre army turned around and began rushing straight toward you, making the three ninja that had fallen get up. Trying to activate his golden katana, the spiky-haired male let slip "Huh? Why isn't this thing working?!"

"Your weapon is merely an extension of your mind. If your mind is immobile, so is your weapon." their sensei explained, his brow furrowed with worry.

"Oh boy, oh gosh. Oh golly, oh duh. Get in, boysss!" Mr Walker fretted, ushering the teens onto his large vehicle as the Serpentine army followed close behind.