Chapter 51: Toying around

Feeling artsy this week, please don't steal <3 Also, can you guess which plush represents who?

(Second person POV)

Reaching the area, he grinned "What do you want to do first, (y/n)?", his attitude not dissimilar to an excited puppy.

"I'm not too familiar with games, so how about you choose something for us to do and I'll follow along?" you smile as he almost immediately leads you to a half-glass, half-metal box with toys inside, eyes practically sparkling and losing all traces of the sadness they held mere moments ago.

"This is a claw machine," the male introduces, "Basically, you put money in this slot and then move this stick to the plush you want and press the button for the claw to drop down and pick it up. It will then automatically move to this chute and drop the toy inside, but it's more likely that it'll drop it before it reaches the chute."

"So it's a scam," you mutter, taking mental pictures of the machine.

"Well, kinda," Jay chuckles awkwardly before his usual cheeriness returned, "Wanna give it a go?"

"Sure," you shrug, pulling out your purse and slipping a coin into the hole, the mechanism coming to life with a cheery ring. Placing your hand on the joystick, you closed your eyes and took a deep breath, feeling a wave of coolness wash over the orbs before reopening them. As anticipated, the world around you turned black and white, your pupils turning from their original (e/c) colour to a striking amethyst-purple that glowed with speckles of other colours, seemingly like thousands of twinkling stars. Through your new ability you had dubbed 'Abyssal Gaze', you found yourself only seeing the outline of everything around you, information streaming into your head one line after the next line and you could already feel a migraine building up.

Looking around, you caught sight of a plushie that seemed to be a puppy wearing an ebony haori ('haori' or はおり/羽織 is a type of traditional Japanese clothing that looks something similar to an open jacket. In modern Japan, it is unisex, but traditionally, it was mainly for males to wear. It is typically worn over a kimono (きもの/着物) and, for all you Demon Slayer fans, is primarily what the majority of the Demon Slayers wear (e.g. Shinobu's butterfly top)), a garment rather rarely seen in society as it has more embraced modern forms of clothing such as t-shirts, though qipaos don't seem to be affected, as seen by Nya's outfit. The soft toy that caught your eye had light iris-purple stars coating certain patches of it, along with a little top hat that seemed somewhat out of place for a doll more centred around traditional fashion. Around its neck was a porpoise-grey ribbon, fashioned into a bow at the back with a golden jewel on its front, seemingly like a little necklace.

...It... kind of looks like Sensei... you thought to yourself, wondering if this was a sign that your teacher was still out there, just waiting for you to find...

Deciding not to spare any more time, you analysed the amount of distance between the claw and the plush, your new power showing you all the attributing factors in your decisions, whether it be the temperature of what you were looking at, the distance of the area in front of you, the weight, and the estimated time it would take for you to whatever you had it mind. ...This is pretty useful, you thought to yourself, moving the claw exactly thirty centimetres (11.8 inches) to the right, letting the metal limb hover directly above the doll.

Once the grappler stop swinging, you pressed the red button, watching it decent and grip the cloth toy and move it to the chute before releasing and-

It didn't make it.

Staring at the machine in both confusion and shock, you were unable to understand why it didn't work as intended, even though you had done exactly as you should have, picking out both the perfect timing as well as the correct distance. Switching off your Abyssal Gaze, you furrowed your brow, wondering where you went wrong when you heard Jay's suppressed snickers.