Chapter 47: An intriguing lecture

(Second person POV)

(Time skip - 4 hours)

Taking a seat at the conference table on Zane's right, you casually twirled your calligraphy brush in your hands as you waited for Nya to get ready for her presentation, trying to distract yourself from your lingering fear from this morning and your sable-black hands that were still dripping with the odd substance. While you were spinning the tool, you caught the drops of ink that got flung into the air, preventing them from staining anything while you thought ...The air smells weird today... I kind of want to sneeze, but that'd be rude so I might as well just suppress it.

Clearing her throat to catch everyone's attention, the girl pulled the cloth off of an object that lay on the front of the desk. "Some villagers unearthed the remains of this Fangpyre a few miles away. It predates the Golden Age, and must be hundreds of years old." she begins before pulling out a laser pointer, "Although the venom in the fangs of the Fangpyre genetically mutate human cells into reptilian, I've learned there could be a way to stop the effects without having to create an antivenom."

While she spoke, Kai seemed to pay minimal attention to his sister, putting his feet up on the table and glaring daggers across the table at Cole who was sitting diagonal to him. The earth user seemed to pay the other no mind, absorbed in drawing something on the blank piece of paper that was supposed to be for his notes and occasionally sneaking glances your way before looking away as soon as you noticed.

Floating over, Koun looked over his head before cracking up, giving you a wide smirk and snickering He's drawing you, of all people~

It's disrespectful to look at someone else's work when they haven't shared it, you sigh in your mind, attention on Nya who seemed pleased that at least you and Zane were listening. And yes, I know I'm not picture-worthy.

What?! Who the hell told you that?! the spirit demanded in outrage, I made sure our body is very good-looking, mind you! Or at least it was considered that back in my hometown! I'm gonna beat up whoever said we look ugly-

No, no, you reply, it's not that, I just think that I'm not worthy of being drawn by Cole. He could draw anyone, yet he chose me. Probably because I'm sitting opposite him and is making an easy reference.

Staring into the side of your face in disbelief, the ghost threw her hands into the air, silently letting out a scream of what you assumed to be anger, before floating back to your side looking like a deflated balloon. At the same time, you registered Jay's gaze on you, making you wonder if there was something odd with the back of your head.

"If one is able wildly raise their heart rate, hypothetically, it could reverse the venom's effects," Nya explained as you stopped spinning your brush and began noting it down in your sketchbook next to the drawing of Fangtom you had done all those weeks ago, "resulting in... diminished..." Pausing her presentation, the female seemed extremely flushed, uttering "Uh, excuse me, is someone wearing perfume? I'm severely allergic to perfume."

The girl and two of the four ninja turning their attention to you, you shook your head and replied "Not my thing. Plus, it makes me sneeze."

Letting out something between a dry chuckle and a cough, Jay hissed to the fire elemental on his right "You told me it was men's cologne!"

Giving him a shrug, the other answered "Meh, I get them mixed up." as he tossed his brush away. Watching the others snicker at the lightning user's predicament, you had your usual deadpan expression on your face, wondering why it was funny that Nya was getting an allergic reaction.