Chapter 40: Someone's gonna die and it sure as hell isn't gonna be you.

(Second person POV)

Feeling the comforting tendrils of whatever power Koun had just bestowed upon you again, you feel yourself suck in a breath through your teeth, muscles straining as you stumble to your feet, leaping away from the old lady who was ready to end you. Rolling your neck as your joints pop, you let out a soft sigh as you feel the power settle in your muscles, strengthening every fibre in your body.

"...I'm a little angry..." you mutter, glaring at your opponent who seemed little more than annoyed that you still wouldn't give up. "I've told you many times that I have never met you in my life, yet you still insist that I should fight you, even at the expense of your assistant over there," Gesturing to the boy in green who was huddled behind the counter, watching the two of you with curiosity and fear, you hissed "Doesn't this make you as terrible as the person you claim I am? You say this person doesn't value human life, but here you are pushing me to retaliate, even if it means hurting this child...How hypocritical of you."

Her eyes narrowed, and the old lady snarled "Don't you go and make conclusions about me. You have no idea how hard I've worked to get here. I'm not about to have you ruin everything and drag me back."

"I'm not trying to do any of that," you retort, still wary of the other's actions. "I'm just trying to find my teacher."

Letting out a harsh mocking laugh, the human growls "A likely story. Don't lie to me, you demon, I've already fallen for all of your tricks before. You won't catch me off guard again."

Before you could reply, she pushes off of the ground and darts toward you, blade in hand and ready to strike you down. Clicking your tongue in annoyance, you took a deep breath and carefully observed the opposition's actions, trying to find an opening to either disarm her or knock her out so that there won't be any more collateral damage.

Just before the dagger slashed your neck, you grabbed the woman's hands and forced them toward the sky, preventing her from hurting anyone. "Hmph! Too predictable!" she yells, raising her left leg to kick you away from her.

Stopping her attack with your other hand, you let out a soft grunt of strain, struggling to continue your defence. Attack back! Koun insists, her determination fueling you also, The best defence is a good offence, after all! Besides, you're not gonna be able to keep this up for much longer with how strained your body is! Plus, if we make it so that she's too busy protecting herself to attack us, then we can easily defeat her!

Knowing that the spirit had a point, you forced the lady's leg away from you and raised your own, kicking her in the stomach and effectively knocking her away. Taking her moment of distraction, you dashed toward her, pulling out a kunai from your pocket dimension and bringing it down at her neck, ready to stun her.

Using her weapon to deflect the attack, she grunted against the pressure you put on her blade before pushing you off. Letting out an annoyed "Tsk", you pushed her further, swiping at her neck as she backed away, barely avoiding your swings.

Leaping back to assess your situation, you glanced to your right, catching sight of the human child still standing there and observing the fight with awe and tension. "Oi, kid!" you growl, gaze darting back to your enemy, "This isn't some show for you to watch! Get out of here before you get hurt!"

With a yelp of surprise, you hear light footsteps head away from your location, the sound fading as the sound of a door opening and shutting echoed through the shop that looked the like embodiment of destruction. "Now that the kid's gone..." you mutter, rolling your arm in its socket, "Let's get this over and done with."

With a glare of suspicion and anger, the old woman grunted "Gladly..." before pushing off of the ground toward you again. 

I should just stick to one or two powers that have visible effects, you thought, getting ready to defeat her, In case she tries to attack me again in the future or we find ourselves on opposing sides. Sucking in a breath, you closed your eyes and relied on your aura-sensing ability to see. Manipulating your ice element, you created several icicles from the ground that reached for your opponent, hoping to be able to restrain her to coerce information out of her.