Chapter 74: It's only downhill from here...

(Second person POV)

(Time skip - 3 hours)

Nervously, you fiddled with your hands, unsure of what to do. Half the day has already passed and you were already heading to the newly opened Café Rosé in Ninjago City, which would surely mean the end of this get-together... You had been trying to get closer to Catherine the entire outing, only to no avail. Even your coworkers- no, friends, had been seemingly helping you. Whether it be making the two of you sit next to each other during lunch, pushing the two of you closer when walking... Surely she would have noticed by now...

Yes, there's no way someone as sensitive (and possibly possessing psychic powers) like her wouldn't have realised that you were trying to make things up between the two of you. That only left the possibility of...

No no! You shook your head, trying to clear those pessimistic, self-doubting thoughts from your mind. Everyone is supporting me, from the Ninja to even my coworkers... I can't let their expectations plummet because of me...

Sucking in a deep breath to steel yourself, you nodded in determination before quickly worming your way to the front of the group where Catherine was walking. Passing by your friends, you saw them flash you a grin of encouragement, aside from Lucas who was as cold as he usually was and merely gave you a nod.

"You can do it...!" you heard Mateo cheer quietly by your ear, his bushy beard scratching the side of your face slightly. He gave you a thumbs up while Vanessa hummed in agreement to your left. Glancing back at Rea, you saw her beam warmly at you while Zoe talked her ear off, seemingly not noticing you seeking reassurance.

...That's right, you muttered to yourself, I can do it! The fact that she hadn't completely walked away when she first saw me means that she's willing to hear me out, and therefore possibly forgive me! ...Right...?

Suddenly, a shiver rushed down your spine, making you tense up mid-step. ...What was this feeling of anxiety swirling within your stomach? You felt sick, intensely, intensely sick like you were about to release the entirety of the contents of your stomach at that one moment... Were you just worried about the response Catherine is going to give...? Then what's with such a vigorous reaction? Is it because you care about her acceptance and approval so much? Is that why you felt so numb and yet pained all over...?

Swallowing down your nerves, you tried to seem more composed, but even from the murky reflection of a house's large window, you could tell that you were barely containing your unease. Taking another deep inhale, you looked up from your pale, trembling hands to the person causing such anxiety in you: Catherine.

To your surprise, or perhaps relief, she also seemed tense, her neatly trimmed nails digging into her palms and leaving behind small crescent moons. Maybe she was also thinking of a way to apologise...?

No, perhaps rather, you were thinking too much and being too hopeful, too naive. She's probably incredibly uncomfortable with your presence but too polite to say anything so she's just forcing herself to endure it until the whole thing is over. Now, she's quivering slightly from either the joy at the prospect of any and all traces of you disappearing from her life or... it's from anxiety, from worry that you would come by again now that you know her new address...

...Am I... that much of a nuisance...? you mumbled softly to yourself, feeling your eyes start to sting. Do you hate me, detest me, fear me so much that you can't even bear to let me see your home in dread of me appearing in front of you again...? Then maybe I should just... go...

Hah?! Koun's annoyed voice screeched, making you jerk slightly and tear your gaze away from your feet to the ghost. You're seriously gonna leave things like this?! Un-be-lievable! When have I, or you, for that matter, ever been such a pussy?! So what if she doesn't want to see you again?! You've got to apologise for the shit you caused her at least! You- No, we can deal with the aftermath later!