Chapter 70: Fighting fire with fire

(Second person POV)

(Time skip - 4 hours)

"...Are you sure you don't wish to take these back?" you ask as you gently take pry the straps from around your body, glancing at the pile of rock-climbing gear that sat near Cole's feet.

"Yeah," he answered, giving you a slight grin, "I thought it would be easier to keep them on The Bounty 'cause I was, uh, hoping that..." Mumbling the rest of his sentence under his breath, the male seemed strangely red for a day as mild as this one.

"I'm sorry?" you murmured, slightly worried that he'd gotten mad, "I didn't hear what you said."

Nearly leaping out of his skin, the teen blurted, "I- I, uh... I just thought you might want to come rock climbing again with me another time!"

"Oh. It's just that?" you sighed, letting out a small breath of relief. Looking up from the harness in your hands to your human companion, you found the sturdy, rocky aura around him a faint azure shade from... sadness...? Why...?

Oh, I dunno... Koun huffed, rolling her eyes, Maybe 'cause you just SIGHED in front of him?! Now he thinks you don't like being near him!

Eyes widening slightly at the spirit's words, you awkwardly uttered, "Oh, um... I was trying to say that... I... thought you were uncomfortable with spending time with me, so I'm rather relieved to hear that you feel quite the opposite."

Brightening up slightly at your words, the earth elemental shot you a grin before taking the harness from your hands. "Then we should go again some other time, right?" he asked, his aura, like his heart, fluttering in an anticipation that his smile masked.

"...Yeah," you answered, returning the expression before glancing off at the mountain you two had just climbed down, beam dimming slowly.

Hearing Cole clear his throat, you looked to your right at him, giving him a slightly confused look. With his mountaineering gear slung over his shoulder, he offered you a hand, remarking, "Let's head back, yeah?"

Staring at his open palm for a moment, you scanned the area around the two of you, making sure that you didn't leave anything behind before finally nodding. Taking his hand in your own, you activated your space element, teleporting the two of you straight to the open deck of The Destiny's Bounty before the male had the chance to react.

With a soft exhale, you stretched your arms, hearing your joints pop as you began heading inside, mind still occupied by your debate of whether to embrace the present, and thereby embracing Catherine but casting aside your sensei, or search for the past and your teacher but abandoning everyone and everything you have now.

Aren't you missing something? Koun sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose as she shot you an annoyed glare.

...I don't think so, no, you answered, casting her a wayward glance.

Ahem... COLE?! she all but screeched, dramatically gesturing to the teen who stood in the spot you had parted from, seeming slightly downcast as he began lowering the ropes hung around his shoulder. Maybe you should... oh, I dunno... TALK to him?! the ghost to your right yelled, annoyance evident in her tone and demeanour, He probably wanted to spend some more one-on-one time together driving back here, but nooo, you and your efficiency had to just grab him and teleport here. Now he probably thinks you don't want to spend time with him!

...Oh... you mumbled, awkwardly shuffling back to the earth elemental's side as per Koun's insistence. "Uh... If you wanted to spend some more time together, we could organise another time to go rock climbing together," you suggested, catching the teen's attention.