13. Nap

We decided to watch the movie in the afternoon, because all of them would rather have some work done too

That's fine for me, because this way I can get ahead of my homework. Ada looks up from her desk in the living room when I leave the breakfast table, passing by her desk. She cocks an eyebrow, concern swirling somewhere in her eyes.

I give her a soft smile. It's becoming easier to just smile. It doesn't take that much energy anymore, and it's not fake anymore either. 

"I'm gonna study a bit," I whisper, because I don't want to disturb Aiden, who's working with his laptop on the couch. But he heard me, because he looks up. "You have two more weeks before normal life begins again. Why don't you read a bit?"

I shrug, the idea only giving me anxiety already. "I like to be ahead of my work." It's the truth. I'm now two weeks ahead, but turning in the assignment for end of March wouldn't hurt, though it's only middle of February.

I mean, why do it two hours before the deadline? This way, I don't have to panic when I can't study for once.

He nods approvingly, then focuses back on his work. I leave Ada to work too and go upstairs. They shouldn't have done so much effort for a room for me—I would've slept on the couch—but I can't deny it reliefs me. It's calm this way. 

Math's the next test we have, though it's a month until we have it. But, you know, having a summary ready helps me relax.

I dug in my bag, only to widen my eyes in horror when I don't feel the book.

Hold the fuck on. This is straight up bullshit. What the fuck?

I'm like 99% sure I packed it. But that 1% seems to have me doubting right now.

But I frown. I laid it on my desk to not forget, took a shower and . . . got disturbed by Ezra and Silas.

Of course. I only had he time to snatch my bag before they dragged me along to the bus.

I drag my hand over my face, realizing I can't do shit right now. What am I supposed to do? Remember it?

A knock on my door sounds, making me look up with a sigh. "Yeah?" There's a beat where nothing happens, after which the door opens and reveals Sebastian.

He gives me a small smile. "Hey, Aaron. I just wanted to ask what you'd like to eat tonight. As a snack? I'm going to the store, so anything you'd want I could grab."

I immediately look down, but it doesn't help anything with my blush creeping over my neck and cheeks. "I-I don't know, what are you having?"

I suck at making decisions for myself.

He makes a face. "Ada is having cucumbers and carrots." I shudder. I didn't know she was such a healthy one.

A laugh bursts out of his mouth. "You should've seen your face! I'm kidding, Aaron. We're all going with chips. Doritos. You want anything else?"