43. Substitute*

First class is

First class is . . . weird.

Our teacher, mister Stansley, is absent. Our substitute should be here in a few minutes.

The chairs next to me are, for once, seated by two girls. No Silas on my right, and no Ezra on my left. I feel sorry for them, because the second they come in they're getting snapped at.

I really do wish they don't, though. With them next to me, I feel safer than with the two brothers. One sighs. "God, I was up at five today. And you know why?"

The girl on her other side listens to her, but I don't. Anxiously, I look around the room. Neither Ezra or Silas is here. It's making me nervous. Where are they?

"Because Stansley's sons got arrested this morning! I saw twenty FBI men pull up, and giving on what I heard, they put on a fight. But of course, they didn't win. Rumor is they tried to kill someone on the trip. Do you know who?"

My sharp intake is heard by at least five people around us. Of course. That's why they're not here. Aiden's friends made their promise come true.

Her friend nudges her, nodding at me. I immediately turn bright red. "That's him."

The girl gasps and looks at me with wide eyes. Everyone around us gives me a shocked look, making me want to crawl out of my skin. "I-I don't-"

"For fuck's sake, leave the poor guy alone," the girl on my other side defends me with a soft smile in my direction. Some frown, but most of the students turn back to what they were doing. I fumble with my shirt. "Thank you."

She gives me a smile. "What's your name? I'm Emma."

I look at her face for a second, stunned. Is this what they call making friends?

"I-I'm Aaron. Bright. Aaron Bright." I mentally slap myself for stuttering. and did she really need to know my last name?

But instead of rolling her eyes at my non-social self, she smiles again. "You're cute. Want to grab some drinks sometime?"

I avert my eyes to my lap. "Oh. Um. I would love to, but I'm sort of gay."

She laughs. "Oh really? I wouldn't have thought. Don't worry, I've got a boyfriend, and I'm not thinking of you as cute in a romantic way. But you seem like a sweet guy, and I haven't really made any guys yet. Some might say I've got a big mouth." She shrugs with an evil smile.

Her amusement makes me smile too. "Ah, well, in that case? Sure. We could exchange numbers."

I give her my phone so she can put my number in hers. Just when I do that, Aiden texts me. Shit.

Luckily, Emma just grins. "Looks like someone is horny." I suppress a groan and already dread to read what she just read, but I'll have to. Ignoring Aiden is never a good idea.