28

Jade looked at the man who slept peacefully beside her while she got dressed.

She wasn't afraid that he would wake up and catch her on her way out, because she had made sure that he wouldn't be able to wake up at least until she was gone.

Then she took the satellite phone that she kept inside the hidden safe she had installed in her wardrobe–which also contained the sleeping concoction he used on him, an obsidian blade, and a gun, also cash and her jewelry–and she dialed the number of her right hand man, Daisuke.

The call was picked up in less than two rings, which was a sign that he was expecting her call.

"Boss."

"I have arranged for the boat to land on the marina in around thirty minutes. Pick me up with the chopper, we're going straight back to Japan." She touched Gabriel's sleeping face softly. His lashes were so long, and he was such a beautiful man. "And arranged a limo for my… guest. Take him anywhere he wants and take his contact number and bank account details for… service rendered."

It pained her to leave him, especially after she realized last night that she had fallen in love with him. But that just made this arrangement necessary. With Daisuke as the go-to, this might look and feel more like a… transaction, instead of involvement of feelings.

"Hai, wakarimashita."

She then put the satellite phone back into her safe, and took out a paper from her table, and wrote something on it. She read and re-read her words and threw away many papers because she just could not convey what was inside her mind, and how to let him know that it's not him, it's her.

She wanted to scream in frustration. She wanted to change her mind and stayed with him. She wanted him, oh how she wanted him. But that ugly little voice in her head chose this exact time to rear its head and whispered to her about how she didn't deserve him, that she's only daddy's little girl, a half gaijin, and not even the boy who took her virginity wanted to stay. She tried to squash them all down but to no avail.

So she did what she always did when all her demons came out.

She walked to the walk-in closet and pushed the hidden button to reveal a small cache full with her paraphernalia, and took out a few things from it.

A choker, a pair of nipple clamps and a couple of vibrators.

She was just going to silence the voice in her head with a good dose of oxytocin, and if she died while doing it, she would not blame anyone but herself.

It only took her no more than ten minutes to reach orgasm, and when she did, she bit her hand to hold back her scream. Pain seemed to be her best friend these days.

A good dose of pain, kept the psychiatrist away.

Then she cleaned her toys, put them back into the cache, cleaned herself, and took a long last look at the sleeping man.

"Goodbye Beau, it's been a pleasure to love you. Even if only for a few days."

She kissed him softly on his forehead, and turned around to leave.

She couldn't hold back the tears as she went out of the room and watched the view of the marina come closer. She had her own private quay–a bit far away from the others–with tight security all around. And she was glad of that right now.

She wore her huge sunglasses and wore her shoes before she walked off the boat and into the awaiting helicopter. Right now, she needed to be the ruthless Akira Moreau–who would conquer the world–not Jade, who could love a man like her life was depending on it.

Gabriel woke up feeling disoriented.

He knew that he should not be able to sleep that deeply without any help from drugs.

He quickly sat up and looked around the room to find nothing, not even her scent left, and he felt the panic started to rise.

Then he saw it–a beige colored heavy paper with roses and real gold border, the one that could only be commissioned by someone as rich as him–and he opened it just to find a few words inside. But those words made his heart sink and his entire body cold.

He tried to tear the paper apart, and yelled from frustration, but he couldn't. Not when this was the only thing left of her.

Gabriel stood up and saw that they had anchored back to the marina, and he went to gather his clothes off the floor and wore them. He took out his phone and saw that he had full bars, then he called his right hand man, Hanzo.

The man picked up on the first ring, and without any preamble, Gabriel spoke with so much restraint in his voice.

"Hanzo, pick me up at the marina and bring the report you have on the woman I told you to find out about. Now."

"Hai, wakarimashita."

Gabriel ended the call and he wanted to throw his phone and punched something–anything. He hated the way he felt right now, so helpless, so not in control. So… alone.

He should've guessed that Jade would be gone by the time their time together ended. He should've seen it from the way she smiled so sadly, from the way she asked him to do her raw last night. He should've… no, it's no use to regret things that had already happened.

Right now, he would do everything in his might to find her–the love of his life–whatever it cost. And the first stop was Christina, the one who sent him to her.

As he clutched the paper in his hand, he couldn't help but read her writing again and again. Her writing was so nice, and the paper smelled like her. He couldn't throw it away, instead he memorized the words in it, and every word pierced his heart like nothing he ever felt before.

So was this how she really felt?

He didn't understand.

He didn't care about what kind of a profession that she had. He just wanted to make her happy, and free.

But perhaps, was that just a fleeting dream after all?

He read the words again, and again until they were carved in his heart.

And how it bled from the pain from losing her so suddenly.

He couldn't help as a single drop of tear fell from his eyes and blurred the words on the paper. But it didn't matter since he already memorized them.

Word by word.

I wish that I'm not me,
And maybe,
just maybe
our story could end up differently.