Chapter 36- Sorry

Two days. It's been two days since Zack has been ignoring me. He doesn't even look at me. Every time I try to talk to him, he just gets up and leaves, making my heart ache.

It's his eighteenth birthday in a few days. I just wanted to give him a gift but look what I ended up doing.

I was never able to stand up against the people who used to talk shit about me. I never used to yell at people who used to bully me. I wasn't able to push away Dylan when he had grabbed my throat that day.

Why did I push Zack away? The person who cares so much about me? Why did I yell at him?

He was just worried about me and I yelled at him.

I should have been patient. I should have talked to him calmly.

"Hey? What's up with you? I am noticing your change of behaviour since the last two days. Always in your thoughts with a sad face." Charlotte brought me out of my thinking.

I sighed and told her everything. She listened to my every word patiently.

"I wanna ask you something." She said with a stern look on her face.

I nodded, encouraging her to continue. "You do know that Zack likes you, right?" she asked and I choked on my spit.

I coughed and regained my posture as Charlotte shook her head in disapproval. "He what?!" My eyes widened.

"Really Jennifer? Everyone in this house knows that." She deadpanned. "Well, everyone except you." she added. 

My mind began to wander in my thoughts again.

The way he looks at me. The way he smiles at me. The way he hugs me, he cares for me, trusts me. The way he had thrashed Dylan with his punches for hurting me. The way he had yelled at Celine that day, the girl he used to like. The promises he made to be always there for me. And... That kiss on the Ferris wheel.

How can I ignore all this?!

Because you are dumb.

You are right. I am so dumb!

He was jealous that you had gone out with Tristan.

Because he likes me!

"I am so stupid Char!" I looked at her.

"No offence, but you are."

"What should I do now?"

"Talk to him. What else?"

"But he's just ignoring me. He doesn't even stay in the same room as me."

"Just try Jennifer. I know that you know him so much better than I do. He really likes you, I don't know how you managed to not get that, but he'll definitely listen to you." she gave me a small smile and left, leaving me sitting there alone with my thoughts.

I ran up the staircase, towards Zack's room, determined to make him talk to me.

I knocked on his door but received no reply. "Zack? Can I please talk to you?" I banged on his door. No reply.

"Please, just listen to me." I tried again but to no avail.

I twisted the handle as I called out his name again. To my surprise, the door opened and revealed Zack who was lying down on his bed. His right arm was over his forehead while his left arm was resting on his stomach. He was staring up at the ceiling of his room.

"Zack?" He gave one look at me and got up. Then, he passed by me, leaving me standing alone in his room. I stared at his back as I saw him walking away from me, refusing to even give another look at me.