Chapter 52- Funeral

I was standing alone, trying not to break down in front of everyone. I preferred to stay alone so that I don't cry when others try to comfort me.

Because no one can truly comfort me about Casper's death.

Yes. It's his funeral today and the whole mafia was present here to pay their respects to the person who was there for their heir in her most helpless state.

"Jennifer?" Max called out my name. "I told you that I want to be left alone, Max. Is it really that hard to understand?" I said without turning back. "Just look here once." He said.

"Why can't you just-" I said while turning around and my words got stuck in my throat when I laid my eyes on the woman Max was standing with.

She had blonde hair and very familiar looking green eyes. She didn't appear to be much old but she did look weak. She gave me a small smile and my eyes immediately widened as realisation hit me. That smile... Casper had that same smile.

Her and Max slowly came towards me while I was just left stunned.

"So you are Jennifer." She said I looked away, guilt consuming me.

"I am Sophia. Casper's mom." She said in a wavering voice and I shut my eyes, letting my tears escape. I covered my mouth and turned away from her. How can I ever look into her eyes.

"Please don't cry, child." She said in a soft voice, turning me back around to look at her.

"I am so sorry... It's all my fault-"

"No. It's not." She hugged me tightly. "It's not your fault. Stop blaming yourself. My son would never like it that you're blaming yourself for his death." She pulled away and wiped my tears.

"I am proud of what my son did." She said in a proud voice. She had tears in her eyes but she wasn't crying. "I am proud of my Casper." She took my hands in hers. My eyes flickered over to Max who was giving me an empathetic smile.

"He used to talk to me about you." My eyes snapped to hers. "He was happy for the first time in many years." she smiled. "He had told me that he will do anything for you to be free from that hell.... And my son fulfilled his promise."

"He did." I mumbled out in a shaking voice.

"3 years ago when he was first forced to join Marcus's mafia, he returned home, all bloodied and messed up. My heart broke on seeing him in that condition but he just made me sit down, held both of my hands and looked straight into my teary eyes and said 'Mom, from this day onwards, I want you to be prepared in advance about a certain bad news that I would never come back home to you.'... We spent that night crying our hearts out in each other's embrace." She shared.

"I was prepared for this news ever since then..."

*****

I was sitting in front of Casper's grave after the funeral was over and most of the people had left. I was staring at his name, which was engraved on the headstone. Memories of him and I together, flooded in my mind.

"You will forever be in my heart, Casper. I will never forget you. I owe you my life. I hope you're at peace wherever you are." I was hit by a cool gush of wind as I stared up at the sky.

I spent a few more minutes sitting there and then finally left, leaving him behind, sealing his memories in my heart.

"Jennifer." Zack said and tried to come near me. "Leave me alone, please." I said without looking at him and went straight to my room.

I wasn't crying anymore. I know Casper would hate it if he saw me crying for him. I just sighed and stared out of the window.

"Jen? I know you asked to be left alone but I wanted to give something to you that Sophia left." Max said and Sophia's name caught my attention.