Chapter 40- Nightmare

We all rushed out of the cafeteria like a bunch of crazy people with the only aim to reach home.

"Max wait up!" Liam yelled at Max who had already started the engine of the car. The both of them drove away before the rest of us could. Damien, Zack, Charlotte and me were driving behind.

"CELINE! CELINE!" Max jumped out of the car and ran to the house.

Celine came crying outside, looking like a mess with all the tears.

"WHAT HAPPENED? WHERE IS COCO?!" Max frantically yelled.

"I-I wasn't feeling well at school so I asked Emilie to drop me home. She did and drove away back to school right away. When I reached the d-door of the house, I found the lock already smashed open. I went inside to see the house in a complete mess and.. C-Coco.. She was lying dead with blood all around on the couch." She choked on a sob as Max rushed inside.

Damien was quick to be by her side and seeing Celine like that, broke my heart.

"You shouldn't have seen that Celine. It's not healthy for you. You should have called me when you weren't feeling good." Damien tried to calm her down.

"But who would do such a thing? Our house is literally in the middle of a forest." Liam asked.

"What a coincidence that you didn't feel good today and asked your friend to drop you off at home and she even though knowing that you weren't feeling good, just left you alone? And then you find Coco dead." Charlotte asked, looking at Celine in suspicion.

"Not now, Char. She's already traumatized." Liam defended.

Charlotte looked at me but I looked away.

"I am going to check up on Max." I announced and went inside.

I gasped as I took in the view of the living room.

Broken pieces of glass and ripped off curtain pieces were spread everywhere.

It was a mess. Utter chaos.

I finally went near the couch and somehow controlled myself from throwing up.

Max was just standing there, staring at Coco's brutally mutilated body. The couch was covered in her blood just like her soft white fur was tainted.

"Max." I whispered and covered my mouth before I broke down in tears. The smell was horrible and it all looked like a horror movie scene.

The others, except Celine and Damien came in soon after.

"Holy shit. Fuck." Zack muttered as he came near Max and me.

"Oh god." Charlotte gasped. She immediately looked away from the horrific scene and gagged before covering her mouth.

Zack rubbed my back to calm me down while Liam went over to check up on Charlotte.

Max was still standing there like a statue, not uttering a single word as he lifelessly stared at his beloved cat's carcass.

*****

We returned home two days later after informing the police and getting the house cleaned. Max was still in shock while some of us seemed to recover.

Coco was really special to him and she was special to not only him, but Julia too. The old woman who had given her to me with so much trust that I'll take care of her cat.

But I failed...

I knocked on Max's door to check up on him. He hadn't spoken to anyone of us since the incident and I was  getting really worried now.