Against All Odds

Kip slowed his red and white mustang to a stop in front of Jonah's house and placed the car in park. Matias was dropped off a bit earlier. Daniel had rode with his brother as well.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk with the police?" Asked Kip as Jonah got out the car. "This is some serious shi-"

"Kip I promise I'm fine." Responded Jonah.

"But don't you want to put Gus away for good?" Asked Daniel.

"Daniel I said no I'm fine. Leave me be... please."

"Okay... okay..." Said Daniel. "Have a good night."

"Yeah and stay safe man." Added Kip before he rolled the window up and drove away. Jonah sighed as he turned to walk up his drive way. Upon entering the house he heard his mom and dad at the dinner table chatting with the tv quietly playing in the background. Jonah left his shoes at the door and entered the kitchen.

"Oh Jonah, your home early? Usually your not back till later during Hanukkah. Hanging with Cyrus right?" Asked Mrs. Beck.

Jonah felt bad for lying and saying he was with his friends. He just couldn't let them know what had happened to him and Matias. They would have gone ballistic and potentially made the situation worse. Luckily for Jonah they don't check his phone location often if at all.

"Yeah. I was getting tired." Said Jonah in a low voice.

"Is... everything alright?" Asked Jonah's dad. "And why do you look like you've been in the Mesa?

Jonah didn't respond. He simply continued the stairs. Jonah desperately wanted a shower.

"Jonah! We're talking to you-" said Jonah's mom before she was interrupted by the slam of the bathroom door. The two parents looked at each other confused. They didn't want to push their son any further but something was off and tonight just wasn't the night to investigate

————————
Andi, Cyrus and Buffy are sitting at the lunch table while they wait for the bell signaling the end of lunch to ring. Winter break starts tomorrow so their school day was cut in half.

"I'm so happy we are going on break finally." Said Cyrus. "Although three weeks is not enough."

"And this year I'll be in town!" Said Buffy. "I'll be able to go to my first Andi Mack Christmas party! Too bad Marty won't be there."

"Have you heard from him in a while?" Asked Andi.

"Yes I have actually. Pretty much every other day we text or call. He really hates it in Denver, but his parents are adamant that he stay with them and not his brother."

"I hope he visits." Said Cyrus. "I miss his bad jokes weirdly."

"I don't!" Said a voice from behind Cyrus and Andi. Buffy's eyes widened.

"Tj?!?" The trio said in unison.

"How'd he get in here?" Said Buffy. "It's actually kinda scary that he's here undetected."

"Gym door. Hasn't been locked since 1975." Said Tj. "Plus Dr. Metcalf looked me dead in the eye and said he doesn't get paid enough before stomping away so... I'm in the clear. Plus, I wanted to see my boyfriend before I skate today."

"Doesn't Cyrus go to every one of your races?" Asked Andi.

"I can't go this time around." Answered Cyrus. "I have family coming over and they can be pretty intense."

"I get that."

"Look there's Jonah." Said Tj pointing at the door of the cafeteria. "He looks like shit..."