Opening Night (Part 1)

Tj let out a heavy breath before reading.

"Dear Tj..." He read calmly. "This letter might come as a shock to you. Especially at the fact that it's coming from the police department, but it's actually from an inmate, me, your dad. Tj pauses for a moment before continuing. "You see, some where in November i was arrested on my own door step and charged with tax evasion by the state. I was convicted and sentenced to a years worth in jail. Now comes the reason I'm writing you. In June of this year, I kicked you out the house on false basis. My mind twisted from the lost of your mother to the anti-depression mess. I regret doing what I did and saying what I did every passing day. Your my son, I can't just abandon you, but at the same time I failed you. On that day, Mrs. Goodman contacted me telling me that you were safe with them and said she will call back if something serious happened. Thought nothing like that has happened. I saw you in the paper with your skating team, with who I presume to be your boyfriend on the stage at the theater, and with your friends about climate change and recycling. You've made me proud, even if it's from afar. I would like you to visit me when you get the chance my hours are 8am-4pm Monday-Saturday and 8am to 1pm on Sundays. I want to talk things out with you and for you to give me a chance. Also, a friend is keep is keeping watch of the house while I'm gone, if you want to get your stuff feel free. Thank you for reading this." Tj let out another breath. His hands now visibly shaking. Cyrus put his hand on Tj shoulder as to comfort him. "S-Sincerely Rick."

As soon as Tj said his name he broke down. Dropping the letter and crying into Cyrus' shoulder.

"It's okay Tj... it's okay..."

————————————————————
Its Thursday now. A week has gone by full of rehearsals, tears and more rehearsals. Today was opening night and Cyrus was feeling the stress amount on him. To the point when he starts rambling. I takes Tj a while to ground him when he gets like that.

"Buffy, do you think we'll do alright?" Cyrus asked. Buffy sighed. "Yes Cyrus, You'll do fine. Be confident in your work."

"I know, I know... but so many things could go wrong..."

"Trust me, your fine..." said Buffy. "Is Tj ok?"

"Uh yeah. He should be seeing his dad now. My mom has to drive him 45 minutes out of town. He'll be back before doors open..."

I hope...

—————————————————
Tj walked up to the main building of the penitentiary and froze. The feeling in the air was bleak. 'Why do people commit crimes when you have this to look forward too...' he thought. Mrs. Goodman walked beside Tj.

"You don't have to visit today." She said. "We can come back tomorrow if your unsure."

"No, we came all this way... I-I'm fine."

Mrs. Goodman nodded and ushered him inside. They checked in and a guard walked Tj into a room with other benches where other families were meeting. A very loud buzzer was heard before a door open. Out walked Tj's dad. Rugged, bags under his eyes and a unattended to beard. He approached Tj's table and sat across from him.

"Tj..." He said. "I'm so glad you came. Look I'm-"

"Dad, Stop. I get it. Losing mom was hard on all of us. I know you weren't in the greatest of places... but that doesn't fix what you said."

"Tj I know. I-I'm truly sorry. I have no problem with who you choose to love. I-"

"Then why did you say what you said."

"I-I don't know..." stammered Rick. "I don't know."

"Too worried about what your new conservative friends would say about you having a gay son? Hm?"