"Ice Skating"

As winter was growing strong outside, so was Aaron and Emily's love for one another. Neither of them had said the eight letter phrase just yet, but both of them were thinking the same thing. They were just waiting for the right moment to say it.

XXX

On Sunday morning, Emily got a text from Aaron as she was eating breakfast.

Are you free today?

Emily smiled at the text. Every free day they got, he sent the exact same text, wether he knew she was free or not.

I'm always free if it means I get to see you.

Great. My place @ noon. Bring warm clothes.

Emily was left confused by the last part.

XXX

Only a few minutes past twelve, there was a knock on Aaron's front door.

He opened the door to see Emily, her dark, wavy hair draped over the shoulders of her black pea coat. Her red lipstick brought out her sweet features and complimented her entire outfit. She looked beautiful.

"Hey, come on in." He said, stepping aside and closed the door when she walked inside so the cold outside air didn't get inside.

"Hi." She said before quickly placing a kiss on his lips. "You sounded like you have a plan when you texted me earlier."

"Yeah, I do." He opened his mouth to speak, but what cut off by Jack running down the stairs towards them.

"Hi Emmy!" He grinned.

"Hi Jack!" She kneeled down to hug him, then began to take her coat off to reveal an olive colored turtleneck sweater with a small gold necklace below her chin.

"Are you excited?"

"Excited for what?" She asked, genuinely confused.

"Ice skating!" He grinned.

Emily raised an eyebrow and look up back at her boyfriend, who was smiling with his hands on his hips.

Aaron saw her look. "Jack, how about you go out a sweatshirt on, hm? You're going to be cold later."

As soon as he left, he looked back at Emily. "What's that look for?" He asked, hiding his smile.

"I, uh," she clicked her tongue and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You don't know how to ice skate?" He finished for her, now smiling.

"I've only been ice skating once. As an ambassadors daughter, I never had the chance." She told him defensively.

"Then I'll just have to teach you."

"Aaron," she sighed, clearly annoyed by his persistence.

"Yes, Emily?" He smirked, his face close to hers.

She bit her lip. "You're lucky you're cute. Or I would never do this."

XXX

They went to the community center, which had an ice rink open this time of year for the public. They rented three pairs of skates.

Emily had trouble putting hers on at first, and denied Aaron's help. Eventually she got it, then helped Jack with his.

Aaron saw this and couldn't help but find it cute. Since they had started dating, (and even before that) Emily had been like a mother to Jack. She loved him like he was her own son. She would make a great mother.

Emily stood up on the floor with her skates. She got it on the first try, which surprised Aaron. Jack got up immediately, ignoring his father's help. Granted, he had been skating a few times prior to this.

Aaron stepped onto the ice, offering help to Jack. He insisted that he didn't need help and got into the ice with ease. Next was Emily.

Who, at the moment, was like his second child.

He extended his hand to her and she grabbed it. Her dark hair was falling in her face while she looked down at her feet, trying to balance.

"Come on you got it. Just walk to me."

"Aaron, I'm not even on the ice yet." She said, knowing that she was going to inevitably hurt herself.

"You've never rollerbladed? Skateboarded?" He asked, finally getting her to come in the ice slowly. She simply shot him a glare. He took it as a no. "Hey look, you're on the ice. Now just push, push, and glide."

She tried to let go of his arm, but as soon as she did, she lost her balance and fell backwards onto the ice with a gasp.

"Ouch! My butt!"

Aaron hid his laughter. There were only a few other people around them. He extended his hand down to her. "Are you okay?"

"Only physically." She replied, standing up beside him. She took off her soft gloves and used her hands to brush the hair out of her face. "Now my hair is everywhere."

He turned towards her and helped her get the hair out of her face. "You," he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Are beautiful."

She could see his breath in the air between them. She blushed softly at his flattery.

"Now put your gloves and hat back on or you're going to freeze." He told her, spotting Jack in front of them trying to make a figure eight.

She did as he said, then grabbed his arm once more. He was wearing a black puffer coat and gloves. No hat. Did she approve of that? No. She simply told him that when he gets sick, she's not going to help him.

They both watched Jack with smiles on their faces, until Emily spoke up. "He's adorable."

"Yeah he is." Aaron agreed and felt her grip on his arm tighten. "Hey, how about you try to do this yourself? I'm basically carrying you."

She groaned. "I'm going to fall again."

"Maybe I should get you a chair to push around." He joked.

She pushed him playfully, not expecting him to stager to the side and nearly fall over. "Sorry. I guess I don't know my own strength."

He shook his head. "If you're so strong, get out there and skate yourself and stop clinging to my arm."

Emily sighed and looked up at his rosy cheeks. "No, I think I'd rather cling to you."