"Calling/texting"

It's been two days since Emily left Virginia and decided to visit her mother, who was currently all the way out in Alaska. She had taken a week off of work for vacation, only because she wasn't quite sure when exactly she would be coming home.

Her mother set her up at a motel just near where she was staying at a friend's house. Emily had only been to Alaska once before- working in a case with the rest of the team.

Her four days there so far had been busy, between shopping or going out to eat with her mother and friends, or hiking up a trail, or even sailing on a local lake.

She was having fun. Emily was enjoying her vacation, and for once in her life, forgetting about the work that was waiting for her back home.

At least, until she got a text from Aaron.

Hope you're having a good time with your mother. Call me later. Xx.

She smiled at her phone screen just as she was getting back to her small motel room that evening after dinner with her mother. The text was sent about an hour ago, so she decided to dial his number and give him a call.

Ring, ring, ring. . .

"Hey Em," he answered in a groggy voice.

"You sound terrible," she said quickly, without any form of greeting.

"Jet lag, I guess."

"Ah, I know how that goes."

"How's Alaska?" he asked, changing the subject and clearing his throat.

"It's beautiful. All of this fresh air makes me want to move out here."

"Aha, don't get any ideas," he said protectively.

"I'm kidding. I don't think I could handle the winter time. Or the small town gossip."

"Or being away from your job," he muttered.

Emily walked into r he bathroom and began taking off her makeup. "Well, that too. Then there's also that small issue of leaving you and Jack."

Aaron chuckled at her sarcasm and paused for a moment. He then proceeded to tell her about the case they just closed in Texas.

When he was finished explaining, he yawned. "What are you up to now?" he asked curiously.

"Partying at a club, and dirty dancing with a bunch of hot Alaskans. How about you?"

"You wouldn't. Too pale. They don't see the light of day for half of the year."

"You know me too well," she giggled. "I'm actually just getting ready for bed. I've got a flight to catch tomorrow morning."

"Oh, I should probably let you go, then."

"No," she said quickly. "It's okay, I'm going to be up a while longer. If you're not busy, can you stay on the phone?" she asked quietly.

"Of course." Emily heard him said, imagining his smile in her head. "Now tell me all about your day."

So that's what she did, starting with breakfast with her mother, and moving into going on a hike through the mountains. She told him how she now had about fifty mosquito bites on her legs alone, and how her shirt snagged on a tree branch and she fell down.

"Let me get this straight; you're hiking in the mountains, and you get knocked over by a branch?"

"No, I said I snagged by shirt on a branch. It was one of my favorite shirts, too," she complained, unzipping her suitcase with the phone still pressed to her ear.

"How's the weather?"

"Freezing," she replied.

"Wear something warm. I don't want you coming back home sick again."

Emily smiled when she saw one of his warm sweaters in her suitcase. This particular one was forest green, and was just about the softest material she'd ever felt on the inside. "I think I found something."

"Hm?"

"Where do you find all of these warm clothes? Why do they make mens clothing so much better than women's?" Emily asked, pulling it over her head. It was oversized on her almost like a blanket.

"You seriously brought my sweater all the way to Alaska with you?" Aaron sighed.

"It still smells like you," she mumbled quietly, beginning to settle underneath her covers and blankets.

"Yeah?" He smiled proudly on the other end, enjoying the fact that she was wearing his sweater and think about him while she did. "I miss you," he said quietly after a moment.

"I'll be back tomorrow," she reassured him.

"Then I'll be kidnapping you for the night."

"Aaron," she laughed.

"Don't Aaron me, I'm Emily deprived."

She laughed at his choice of words. "I'm all yours again when I get back, okay?"

"Good."

Emily's smile faded into a yawn. "I should get some sleep. I'll call you when I land tomorrow?"

"Perfect. Goodnight, Emily."

"Goodnight."