"Injury"

It's been a few days since Aaron and Emily's previous outing (Ice skating), and yet they couldn't wait to see each other again.

They had a date planned for Friday. Little did they know what would hinder their plans.

XXX

"HOTCH! Get back!" Morgan shouted towards the black SUV.

Hotch was standing in front of it. He dove over the hood of the car as soon as he heard Morgan's cry, but by that time, it was too late.

He hit the ground on the other side with a groan.

"Damn it, Aaron." Rossi muttered something to himself in Italian. He watched as Morgan raised his gun and shot three rounds into the air. Two screams of pain and two thuds could be heard not long after.

The gunfire stopped. Morgan and Rossi ran to Hotch, who was laying on the ground in the dark, clutching his leg in pain.

"We need an ambulance!"

XXX

Aaron woke up in the hospital the next morning wondering where he was.

Emily sat beside him. She heard him stirring beside her and look up to see his eyes flutter open and his eyebrows furrowed. He instantly tried to get up, but fell back down into the hospital bed with a pained moan.

"Hey, take it easy." She stood up and walked towards him. "You're in the hospital."

"Yeah, I gathered as much."

"Wow, someone's cranky." She laughed.

He glared at her. "What happened? Why does my leg feel numb? How did I get here?"

"Calm down. You were shot in the calf last night. It's nothing serious; the bullet barely missed the bone, thank god. You just need rest." She told him, sitting down on the bed beside him.

"I don't have time for rest. Did Morgan catch Reese?" He asked, struggling to sit up.

"Reese is dead. Morgan had to shoot him right after he shot you." She watched as he grabbed a fistful of sheets, trying to sit upright. "Lay back down, Aaron."

He looked at her with no expression. "Don't tell me what to do." He snapped.

Emily held back her laugh. "Those pain meds really got to you, didn't they? Or is this just a side of you I haven't seen yet?"

"Emily, stop."

"I may not be able to tell you what to do, but the doctor will say the same thing."

"Where's Jack?"

"He's with Jessica. He's safe."

Hotch sighed and laid his head against the pillow behind his head, finally giving in to her persistence. "Sorry. I'm not the best company right now."

"It's okay. You have a good reason."

"I'm glad you're here, Em. Really."

"And I'm glad you're okay, but what were you thinking? Running into open fire like that? Did you have a death wish, you big idiot?"

He closed his eyes. Here comes the lecture.

"You should just be thankful Morgan was there to save your ass." She said. She knew the condition he was in, so she wasn't going to push it. Not right now, at least.

"Remind me to thank him later." He opened his eyes and looked at her. "Thanks for staying with me. You don't have to."

"I'm your girlfriend, so I'm kind of obligated to." She smiled.

"No you're not. You could go home if you wanted to, but you're here." He tried to sit up beside her once more before wincing in pain.

"Hey, just lay down. You can relax for more than two minutes."

"Then come here and let me kiss you already."

Emily grinned and leaned over him so he could wrap his arms around her slim waist and pull her to him and press his lips against hers.

Her lips parted slightly so his tongue could enter her mouth. He explored her mouth and claimed it all as his own, trying to keep her as close as humanly possible to his chest.

She pulled away, laughing.

"What's so funny? Hey, come here."

"No. Someone's going to see us. This is a public hospital, Aaron."

"I don't care." He said confidently, pulling her waist back to his chest.

Emily shrugged and finally gave in.