"Jealousy"

Monday morning not only brought the pain of going back to work, but also the pain of working a case in New York.

It was too early in the morning to be dealing with a double homicide, Emily thought silently on the jet there. But then again, when was a good time to deal with it?

As soon as they walked through the NYPD doors, they were greeted by the lead detectives on the case. One being an older man, Emily guessed he was in his mid to late fifties, and a man about her age. She couldn't deny that the younger man was handsome, with his dark hair and eyes.

Aaron, being a profiler, quickly picked up on the way the man looked at her, even while he was shaking his hand and exchanging greetings.

Emily gave him a warm smile. It wasn't the kind of smile you would give someone when you just met them.

After explaining the case, the team was split up. Hotch sent Morgan with Emily, but to his surprise, the young detective, Matt Grisham, went along with them.

XXX

"So you think he's a taking a piece of each victim with him?" Grisham glanced between the two agents.

"He probably has severe abandonment issues. Whether it's divorced parents, or a childhood loss, our unsub doesn't want to let go of something," Emily stated, throwing her plastic blue gloves into the trash as they walked out of the fluorescent white apartment.

"I'll call Garcia," Morgan said, pulling out his phone from his back pocket, leaving the two alone together outside.

Matt wanted to smile at Emily's puzzled expression. "What's bugging you?" he asked cautiously.

"What if. . . No."

"What is it?"

"What if our unsub is a minor?" She looked up at the taller man, who was dressed in a navy blue suit.

"It would explain the evidence we found at each crime scene," he agreed. After a short silence, he caught Emily's eyes. "You're really smart, agent Prentiss," he told her, in hopes to get a first name.

Emily looked up at him. Was this really his pathetic way of flirting with her? "My boyfriend also thinks so," she replied with a small smirk.

"Ouch, okay, I see what you did there," he laughed.

Emily saw Morgan walking back towards them out of the corner of her eye. Perfect timing, she thought.

XXX

When they returned to the station at noon, Hotch gathered them in the small meeting room to regroup. When Grisham deliberately took the closest seat to Emily, Aaron's jaw tightened.

"What did we find?" he asked, pulling his eyes away from the man.

"Our unsub may be a minor," Morgan said, relaying Emily's theory to the rest of the team.

"Why do you think that?" JJ asked curiously.

"Look at this photo," Emily said, opening a file. Before she knew it, Grisham's head was dangerously close to her shoulder as he peered over it. She was certain that he'd already seen the file prior to this.

"An alcohol stain on the floor?" JJ asked after glancing at it.

"Cheap booze," Morgan commented.

"We thought it was blood at first glance, just like the other two stains," Grisham mentioned, pointing to the picture.

Hotch watched closely as the man's fingertips just barely grazed Emily's and moved to the photo. He stood up from his chair quickly and walked behind them.

Of course, Emily took note of this. "It makes sense," she said. She used her words as an excuse to turn around and look up at Hotch, as if to say I have no control over this idiot next to me.

"Emily, did you-"

"Agent Prentiss," Hotch quickly corrected Grisham. 

The man looked up at Hotch, his eyes were practically burning into his own. "Sorry?"

"Her name is Agent Prentiss, and you will address her as such."

Grisham slowly looked from Hotch back down to the file, subconsciously pulling his head away from Emily's shoulder. He was no profiler, but it was clear to him that he had hit a nerve. 

When everyone left the conference room, Emily caught Hotch's arm. 

"What was that?" she asked in a serious tone. 

"What was what?" he asked innocently, returning the same tone of voice.

"Don't play dumb with me, Aaron," she threatened.

He glanced from the open door back to the woman in front of him and lowered his voice significantly. "Emily, you read people's body language for a living, and you're acting like you didn't see the way he looked at you?"

"No, I did," she answered calmly. Aaron furrowed his eyebrows. "But I'm a professional when it comes to what we do, especially when our work involves saving the lives of innocent people. Now I'm not going to waste time pointlessly confronting another trained professional because I'm jealous."

"I'm not jealous," he responded quickly.

"Right." Emily scoffed. This was typical of him. She looked up into his chocolate brown eyes and continued speaking. "Well, I'm going to go back out there now and solve this case, without any personal matters conflicting me. I suggest you do the same." She pushed past him and walked out the door, feeling his eyes on her the entire time.

JJ caught her on her way out. "What was that about? You look upset."

"Just. . . Hotch. I don't really want to get into it."

"Are you two fighting?" she asked quickly.

"Jayje, I-"

"Right. Sorry, it's none of my business. Let's go."

A/N: here's some angst and what-not. gahdayum i'm so busy right now, so i'm sorry if this isn't my best work.