Chapter 40

Sasuke was flipping through old documents.

He could be found in the very back of the library, looking from file to file, thick book to thick book.
Sighing he put down the book and grabbed another.

"What are you doing?"
He looked up to see Namikaze Kushina in a winter kimono with her usually bunned red hair down and circling around her buttock.
"Looking through old documents." He answered truthfully.

A large wave hit them both and Sasuke felt as if his body had been lifted from the ground for a moment.

"What the fuck?"
"Naruto." Kushina stated as she pulled up a chair and sat before Sasukes mess. "She's checking the perimeter."
"... I don't get it."
Kushina shook her head and sighed. "When Naruto brought you back to the palace, do you know if she did anything to keep you alive while she went and got that dead girl?"
Sasuke frowned. "Her names Anastasia. Naruto would be mad if she heard you call her friend a "dead girl"."
Kushina scoffed. "Naruto doesn't have friends."
Sasuke looked at her confused. "Why do you care if Naruto has friends or not? It's natural to have friends, I even have some buddy's around the Kingdom."
"Well Naruto isn't you and she surely wasn't raised to be a disgrace like you."
Sasuke clenched the pages of the book. "Did you just come here to insult me? Naruto may not be herself right now but she isn't one to be pushed around."
Kushina picked at her nails as if what Sasuke had to say about defending her daughter didn't matter. She looked back up when Sasuke stopped talking.

"I came here to convince you to propose to Mito."
Sasuke looked at her in disbelief.
"The Fires annual Winter Festival is in three weeks. I want you to propose to her than with this ring."
Kushina brought out a gorgeous ring.

The diamond was a dark blue with a hint of pink in the middle. The rose gold band branched around the diamond with two small diamonds on the top of the ring. There were diamonds lacing the bottom of the band around the diamond before it branched into the size of Mitos ring finger.
(Pictures above seeing the rings gorgeous and I couldn't describe it well enough)

Sasuke could admit the ring was beautiful. It was gorgeous even... it just wasn't his style of ring to propose with. He didn't see what was special about it in his eyes.

"You want me to propose to your daughter?"
"Yes." Kushina looked confident he would, and Sasuke twisted that to his advantage.
"Fine. I'll propose to your daughter if you tell me why you called Naruto your daughter."
Kushina rolled her eyes at Sasuke silly request but complied. "I called her my daughter because she is my daughter. Naruto is a female copy to Minato who is her father."
"But I thought Kabuto and Orochimaru were her parents. Well, adoptive."
Kushina scoffed. "Those snakes aren't my child's parents. They share nothing that would make anyone think so."
Sasuke hummed. His mind drifted off to Narutos sick passion for blood and death. Something orochimaru has strongly made clear he takes pleasure in.
"If you open the book with all of the five kingdoms royal family portraits in it, you'll find Naruto in our family portrait... or you could just make a quick journey to the Wind and see the large portrait of her with Minato, Mito and I. You'll be able to recognize her from that look she has in her eye."
"Which look? The sick glee one."
"No." She snarled at Sasukes smart ass comment. "That determined look."
Sasuke hummed again and stood to grab a thick book from the back shelves.

Kushina watched, with the ring still in hand. As Sasuke flipped through pages and stopped on one with Minato, Kushina and a baby Mito. And sure enough, there was a three-year-old Naruto sitting on Minatos lap.
He ran his finger gently over the small girls pink cheeks and frowning face. Naruto didn't look happy in the portrait. Her father and mother seemed happy though, smiling in their forever positions.

'Beautiful' was all he could think as he stared at the young girl in a princess dress with her blue gemmed tiara.

"Naruto was supposed to marry King Gaara from Sunagakure. He came here looking for her but seeing how quickly the weather had changed, he and his sister went back to the hot desserts of the Suna."
Sasuke looked back at Kushina who was staring down at the ring. She glanced up at him through her dark lashes.
"If you could convince her to come home and stop being a little baby about marrying a good opportunity for more protection against our enemies, I'd be grateful."
Sasuke clenched the book and snapped it shut. He put it back and walked over to Kushina. He held his hand out for the ring and Kushina gladly gave it to him.

"I won't do that."
Kushina looked back up at Sasuke as she stood. "Do what?"
"Convince Naruto to go back to a life she ran away from. I may not know the whole story but I know she ran away from her family and I know Naruto wouldn't have ran away if she truly didn't want to be married off."
Kushina scoffed. "I'm marrying Mito off and you don't see her running away."
"Well that's the difference between Naruto and Mito than, wouldn't you say. One of your daughters actually has a mind for themselves and knows how to treat people kindly while your other daughter wants to marry a prince so badly she gets mommy's help in the whole ordeal."
Kushina looked at Sasuke shocked.
"I am a queen. You do not speak to me like that."
"I will if you try to be rude to my knight again. Naruto has looked after this kingdom and me for ten years. I won't betray her like that just because I'm going to marry one of your daughters. I won't have her being held by a ruthless man over my head. It's one thing for you to not care, but it's another when for me Narutos gone through heaven and hell to keep me safe."

Sasuke lifted the ring and left Kushina in the library's back room shocked.

As he walked from the room, Sasuke looked down at the ring. He slipped it into his trousers pocket when someone ran into his chest.

"Oh Sasuke-kun I was looking for you!"